Instrument vs. Speaker cables

got_metal

Excuse my ignorance, but would I be doing any harm to my M-Audio BX5-a monitors by using instrument cables to hook them up to my mixer as opposed to speaker cables? Also, would xlr cables produce better results? Thanks!

Instrument cables would be the correct choice, speaker cables carry the amplified signal from a power amp to the speakers or crossover. If you were trying to cover more than 30 ft, I'd suggest any balanced cable, TRS or XLR, but for 3-6 ft that you're likely using, there should not be any real difference, provided the BX's are wired to accept unbalanced cabling. Worst case, you'll lose 6dB, and have to turn up a little more.

The specs say the monitor will accept either balanced or unbalance 1/4", or they will accept XLR. IMHO balanced 1/4" (three wire) would better than unbalanced (two wire). Should be less noise. But I don't beleive there would be much difference between 1/4" balanced and XLR.

Speaker cables generaly have heavier wire than instrument cables. Maybe because speaker cables carry more voltage/amperage? Reguardless of why, just don't use the same cables for both purposes, color code your cables so you know which are for instruments and which are for speakers.

Back