How to sing like an RnB guy

ind1

I was wondering how to sing like the RnB black people do, my favorites like Ne-yo, Chris Brown, J Holiday, Trey Songz and stuff..

Any tips? I got an Aussie accent since I live in Aus, but I am trying my best with pronounciations.

:)

are you talking about the effect on the voice? if so, you can just use a pitch correction. actually.. OVER use a pitch correction lol . that will get you that sound.

Craig David is a crazy good singer..

But anyways... I've been practicing and practicing.. Is there any way to sing higher?

How do you really do those higher notes? I mean like in that Justin Timberlake song "What goes around comes around", he goes "I just can't do without ya, tell me is this fair (when he sings this word he goes real high).." How? Please any tips?

My own voice is ok, but it kinda sounds lame with Aussie accent.. I tried it.. And Craig David don't sound British when he sings..

Find a voice teacher. I believe R&B singers use a lot of falsetto which really isn't that hard to do.

You should post a clip.

It sounds like he used head voice and falsetto. It's a very light airy sound. I'd recommend reading about diaphragmatic breathing so you don't damage your voice from poor technique.

It also sounds like the software "autotune" was used in that recording to give it that electronic R&B sound at the end of some notes.

Ty for your help.

I am trying to sing something and save as MP3 file but it don't work... Can I upload .wav and someone listen and tell me what to improve please??

Okay ty.

I will sing something now... But I am kind of embarrased.. Because.. I sucks

I am uploading at da moment but it takes ages..

Last edited:
It actually doesn't sound bad. The Aussie accent didn't particularly stand out or anything, so you shouldn't be worried about that. It sounds a little nasally in some parts, but for this genre, it could work. I'm not sure as I don't listen to R&B very much.

As for the falsetto parts at the end, you just need some practice. It doesn't sound like you fully transitioned into the falsetto voice which is why you couldn't reach it. There should be less constriction and straining.

If you're concerned about not sounding too R&B, you can always try rock. You can already play the guitar and it sounds like you can probably sing rock too.

Ty for reply.

Mm, I'm not sure what Falsetto even is xD I am googling it.

I do rock and stuff usually.. I started with like Dream Theater and stuff (progressive metal), but I really like RnB and I wanna be able to do it:)

I tried hard not to sound Aussie. Because when we say certain words like "can't", we say "kaaant", and in the song it is like "cayent" or something.. :)

Also what is nassaly? :)

Don't give up, just practice until you can do it. I say this from experience. My speaking voice has a distinct "southern drawl" (being from the southeastern USA) which works fine for country and most folk music but sounds like crap for most other genres. Like everyone else I had to work to overcome various pronounciation issues. Keep trying, record your voice, listen to it, decide what you like and what needs work then do it over again. Keep doing this over and over until you get it, sorry I don't know of an easier way.

Back