• serious hobby would like to make $$

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • trying to be a pro and make it big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • already made my expenses and more

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Hum..I didn't know that Mit Romney had started his own university. :laughings:

I'd love to see copy of the paper. But I'm so excited that I have questions now. For example, if you used linear regression, did you account for all the assumptions required to accurately generate the regression coefficients. It seems that there would be a high degree of interactivity among several of the independent variables. Perhaps a path model would be helpful to explore some of these complex relationships. Second, and perhaps most important, how did you operationalize the dependent variable? I assume it was some measure of quality. But what and how was it measured. My approach in a similar work was to gather a random sample of 100 mixing engineers. The sample was stratified to include engineers at all levels including those who recorded in their homes and simply thought they were actual engineers. I then prepared a listening session where each engineer rated a random sample of recorded music from 1 to 100. Each of the recorded samples was examined to determine the type and cost of equipment used. Each engineer was also asked to characterize the music quality in dichotomous terms, where 1=Crap and 0=Gold. I wanted to also run the independent variables against a simple dichotomous dependent variable so I could use a Logit or Probit analysis. I'm not always comfortable with multimartie linear regression and sometimes I find Logit or Probit to be helpful.

Of course, I never completed the study or my dissertation for that matter. So I'm currently ABD. Sometimes this stuff is just impossible to measure. :p And nobody will fund the research. :(

we would all love to see a copy of this alleged paper

i read that as an april fool type joke to spoof us

Sorry man, but you are out of line and I find you quite rude and offensive. A nice way to call you a name that everyone already has said under their breath.

I see you as the one being condescending to others opinions and not willing to listen to anyone other than yourself.

I actually can't believe you have not been neg repped or reported yet...

Just sayin...:eatpopcorn:

yep

that is what most people say when they get called out for bulloney posts claiming to be some phd from MIT

how is asking for facts condescending unless you are totally FOS and making up your alleged facts

expensive gear usually tends to be more reliable, easier to use, fancier cases, veblen qualified wiring, and maybe a better UI etc

hahahahaha - you even used better in your description of EXACTLY what makes it better. Yes, 'better sound' is subjective and impossible to prove (except for things like S/N ratio, frequency range and distortion numbers, of course!) :rolleyes:

hahahahaha - you even used better in your description of EXACTLY what makes it better. Yes, 'better sound' is subjective and impossible to prove (except for things like S/N ratio, frequency range and distortion numbers, of course!) :rolleyes:

exactly

and you can not logically prove that anything is better with s/n freq distortion etc as they are all over the place and overlap between devices

so is s/n better than distortion or not? what about cost? would you pay a billion dollars to get another cycle of bandwidth?

the problem is that logically you can never rank order by quality anything with more than one parameter

You're an idiot.
expensive gear usually tends to be more reliable, easier to use, fancier cases, veblen qualified wiring, and maybe a better UI
- MAKES IT BETTER!!!

All those better numbers for S/N, distortion, etc. MAKE IT BETTER!!!

Are you seriously doing this? Are you here to better yourself and the community, or are you just a grumpy old man with nothing to do but argue with people?

Not arguing at all

the facts are the facts and logic plus facts = truth

sorry if you went to public school and only learned PC stuff

Not arguing at all

the facts are the facts and logic plus facts = truth

sorry if you went to public school and only learned PC stuff

Did you just try to insult me?

Facts are facts, but experience tells us what and how things work in our particular environment. You want a fact about how a 10x10' bedroom studio will work best for recording? Well here it is: It will be an extreme challenge as the facts of how a room sounds will make it incredibly difficult to record well without the science of room acoustics affecting what you hear in a negative way.

That is not opinion my friend. It is fact. So leaving out opinion and disregarding them as not fact is 'in fact' you looking for answers that do not exist in the real world.

sorry

they all MAKE IT ***DIFFERENT*** not better sounding

By the same logic I could play my guitar, poorly tuned, out of time and with a bunch of wrong notes and compare it to a professional session musician - perfectly in tune, spot on timing and no mistakes. In your world the session player would be no better, just different.

By the same logic I could play my guitar, poorly tuned, out of time and with a bunch of wrong notes and compare it to a professional session musician - perfectly in tune, spot on timing and no mistakes. In your world the session player would be no better, just different.

unfortunately logic says that is true

what we prefer cannot be logically proven to be better

if you dont believe then listen to some of the pure crap NPR plays calling it music

---------- Update ----------

Did you just try to insult me?

Facts are facts, but experience tells us what and how things work in our particular environment. You want a fact about how a 10x10' bedroom studio will work best for recording? Well here it is: It will be an extreme challenge as the facts of how a room sounds will make it incredibly difficult to record well without the science of room acoustics affecting what you hear in a negative way.

That is not opinion my friend. It is fact. So leaving out opinion and disregarding them as not fact is 'in fact' you looking for answers that do not exist in the real world.

no insult intended

just my condolences if you failed to learn basic logic in school

unfortunately logic says that is true

what we prefer cannot be logically proven to be better

if you dont believe then listen to some of the pure crap NPR plays calling it music

---------- Update ----------

no insult intended

just my condolences if you failed to learn basic logic in school

I was thinking the same thing for you sir...

WTF line is that

i say NPR crossed the line with that noise they play yet call it music

Son, you crossed the Macon County line, The Mason-Dixon line and the line between right and wrong when you attacked NPR. This is America, and even though liberals and conservatives disagree constantly about NPR funding (even it's very existence), we don't like ferriners sticking their beaks into our stuff. Besides, they have so much diverse music it's impossible to call it all crap. And it's an affiliated network of local stations. So which one has put you off? WXEL in Miami or WGBH in Boston? It's as if I said all BBC music is crap. Which one and which music? Where do you start?

And on matters of taste, I'm not sure how you would attack something like the Tiny Desk material. It's got something for everyone, is basically quiet for us old folks, and the stereo mic tecnique is truly amazing.

Son, you crossed the Macon County line, The Mason-Dixon line and the line between right and wrong when you attacked NPR. This is America, and even though liberals and conservatives disagree constantly about NPR funding (even it's very existence), we don't like ferriners sticking their beaks into our stuff. Besides, they have so much diverse music it's impossible to call it all crap. And it's an affiliated network of local stations. So which one has put you off? WXEL in Miami or WGBH in Boston? It's as if I said all BBC music is crap. Which one and which music? Where do you start?

And on matters of taste, I'm not sure how you would attack something like the Tiny Desk material. It's got something for everyone, is basically quiet for us old folks, and the stereo mic tecnique is truly amazing.

I did not attack NPR. But their taste in so called music is bizarro.

Exactly my point. And thanks for helping my making it. Music like goodness is all subjective. Even goodness of audio gear.

Back