How to improve the quality of my recording

ransom

My only goal is to record my Yamaha G7 Grand Piano so it sounds real.

Here's what I've done.

New IBM computer
M Audio Delta 66 Sound Card
AMT M40 Piano Microphone
TubePre preamplifier
Cool Edit or Audacity

It seems to record all the keys OK but has a very flat unreal sound that really sounds nothing like my piano. Certainly nothing like the sample piano recording on AMT's web site.

Do I have a really weak link here?

Someone gave me the preamp, could that be the problem? Is it apieve of crap?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You could probably get better results adding a nice matched pair of stereo over head condensor mics. That would add some depth. I'm sure there are better pre's available too.

The TubePre isn't ideal for a clean recording, but if you make sure to keep the drive knob turned all the way down and just use the gain knob you'll keep the sound as clean as that pre can deliver. An M-Audio DMP3 would be better and it's very inexpensive.

Are you using the mic inside the piano?

Keep in mind that the only way to effectively position a mic is to do a lot of listening to it in different spots. An inch one way or another can make a big difference, as can slight changes in direction.

BTW, getting an acoustic instrument to truly sound real is the toughest thing in recording. But with incredibly expensive gear, years of experience and a great sounding room one can get very close. When you're starting out, getting it to just sound good is a pretty big accomplishment. There's a lot to it.

Tim

OK, thanks. I'm going to try a different preamp and then lower my expectation level. It sounds "OK" but I was wanting professional studio results with a cheap budget. Ain't gonna happen.

You could allways get your self a Midi Keyboard and record in Digital (Midi) the Sound will be Much clearer and Louder but will have a somewhat Synthisized sound to it but still probably better than what you are getting and with all of the Available Free VSTI"s and VST Plugins you can record some pretty neat sounds and be able to record other Instruments Like Guitar ,Bass , Horns ,Strings Ect all with the Keyboard and you won"t have to deal with Mics or Preamps you just need a Midi interface (they are Cheap) and of cource a Midi keyboard which can also be found for fairly cheap especially if you get an older one.....

Just a Thought!!!

Cheers

Yes, and I agree with that. I have a Kurzweil Mark 10 Ensemble grand that I attach to my Delta 66 card. It does a great job and sounds great.

the reason I want to record my Grand Piano is because I can play it better than the keyboard. the touch on the keyboard is enough different from a real piano that if a piece is very technically challenging I cannot play it very well on the keyboard.

the keyboard is more versatile but the piano is a piano.

ransom said:
My only goal is to record my Yamaha G7 Grand Piano so it sounds real.

Try to mount (tape) a quality PZM microphone (mono) or two (stereo) to the bottom of the piano lid. I personally use and would recommend the PZM-30D (or the 6D). I've had best luck using painter's tape, which doesn't usually harm the piano finish. Tape the PZM(s) securely to the bottom of the lid and make sure you do the same to the cable(s) so that nothing falls onto the strings, especially when the lid is closed (for better isolation). Just in case, I'd not keep the mic(s) taped for more than a few days. You can always retape. Oh, and make sure you have phantom power supply. Btw, I was able to get very clean and true to life piano sounds with this minimalistic approach, usually just using 1 PZM. Compared to regular micing procedures, this is pretty painless. Try it.

Here's a more detailed picture from Bruce Bartlett, a Microphone Engineer at Crown International:

Easy Piano Miking with PZMs by Bruce Bartlett

Need an easy, good-sounding way to mike a grand piano? Consider using some Crown PZMs (Pressure Zone Microphones.) For nearly two decades, they have been a popular miking choice for the piano.

Reproducing the natural sound of a piano can be difficult with conventional mics. That’s because sound waves from the strings strike the underside of the lid, then bounce back into the microphone after a short delay. This causes "phase interference" which can color the sound. PZMs don’t have this problem because they mount directly on the lid - preventing phase interference.

For a mono pickup, tape a single PZM to the underside of the raised lid. No mic stand is needed. Place the mic about 8 inches horizontally from the hammers, in the middle. Put the lid on the long stick for best sound. If isolation or feedback are problems, use the short stick, or close the lid.

In the closed position, sound might get "boomy" due to reflective acoustics. You can reduce this "tubby" sound by cutting around 250 Hz with your mixer’s equalization.

For stereo pickup, tape two PZM’s under the lid. Place the treble mic about 8 inches horizontally from the treble hammers, and the bass mic about 2 to 3 feet horizontally from the bass hammers, near the tail. Why is this placement used? Suppose both mics are 8 inches from the hammers. When the lid’s raised, the treble mic will be farther from the hammers than the bass mic. So the bass mic should be moved away from the hammers until both mics end up about the same distance from the hammers.

For piano miking I suggest the Crown model PZM-6D. It’s small, lightweight, and has a thin cable; so it’s easy to tape in place. The PZM-6D has a switchable frequency response: flat or rising at high frequencies. This gives you a choice between natural or bright sound.

Back