How to connect 1/4 male mono jacket into laptop 3.5mm stereo

emanueol

Hi all,

How can I plug this (mono big "jack"):
w w w . a m a z o n . c o . u k / g p / p r o d u c t / B 0 7 T W Q L 2 J S

Into my laptop 3.5mm stereo input?
Obviously I'm not looking to record stereo since input is mono, its just that my laptop input is stereo (3.5mm).
Or I wonder if there's such a think as female 1/4 jack mono into usb cable ?

I'm open to options, but would prefer a simple solution of just plugging some sort of adapter:
input = big female 1/4 mono
output= small male 3.5mm stereo.

Does something exists that would send for example the mono channel into both stereo ? Or am i over complicating ?

Thanks for your help :thumbs up:
Emanuel O.

Obviously I'm not looking to record stereo since input is mono,

You shouldn't need a special cable. You should be able to create a MONO track in your software, then select the left or right channel of the stereo input. That will give you what you want.

Be VERY careful that you protect the fragile 3.5mm socket. ¼" adaptors plus the plug plus the cable only need a good trip to snap the sockets! Gaffer tape the cable so if you yank it, it won't break anything!

No one has asked, so I will - what are you trying to plug into your laptop? Microphone, guitar? Coffee machine? :drunk:

Sometimes, the hour or two to learn to solder is so worthwhile and a skill that lasts your lifetime - and you can make ANY kind of audio cable that you need.a couple of adapter cables I made when I was 17 are still in my store, and 60 years have past now! - 43 years of use, that's not bad is it!

Sometimes, the hour or two to learn to solder is so worthwhile and a skill that lasts your lifetime - and you can make ANY kind of audio cable that you need.a couple of adapter cables I made when I was 17 are still in my store, and 60 years have past now! - 43 years of use, that's not bad is it!

Yep, though I've soldered a lot less as my vision got crappy.

You can buy a short cable with 1/4-inch female (technically a "jack") on one end and a 1/8-inch stereo male (technically called a "plug") on the other end. That short cable would make the connection, but the 1/4-inch plug will short out one channel because the sleeve of the plug will touch both the ring contact of the jack and the sleeve contact of the jack. You could probably still make that work, since many pieces of recording software have facilities to make a mono signal (driving both channels) on the output. Goldwave, for example, has an option to use only the right channel or the left channel to produce a mono output. I believe that if you connect with a cable I'm describing, you would find your signal on one channel and silence on the other one. For a good mono recording, you'd probably want to drive both channels equally, and that's where a piece of software would come in to the picture.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could of course buy an "in-line" jack (one with a covering similar to that of a plug, along with a 1/8-inch stereo plug, then, using shielded wire you could solder the shield to the sleeve contact on the plug and connect the tip and ring together to make your own cable which would drive both channels of your laptop.

Back