homemade traps

Stark444

i noticed people using a lot of different objects as a trap/reflector/absorber stand-in. i thought it would be cool to share what u use as a substitute. ive read here that some people use egg crate type material while others are saying its bad. somebody said they were going to try to use cubicle dividers. i myself have been looking into making them like this:

http://www.cinematreadwell.com/homemadesoundpanels.pdf

i just thought it would be nice for everyone to share what they use (if they dont use commercial traps) and discuss pros and cons of others. like, if someone is using egg crates, then why is it bad/good...that type of thing ;)

Egg crate things don't do anything for the bottom which is where the issues are most often.
In fact, egg cartons not only do nothin but a tinge of high end taming but become a fire hazard. Not worth it, imo.

I've got 4 traps in my 14X20 odd shaped room and it's not enough. But moneys tight so I'll build some (maybe 4 to start) out of some 703 and some barely efficient carpentry skills :D

Luck man...gots me some beer to drink. ;)

if ur gonna build more, i suggest that link i posted above. the guy did a nice job and shows the progress well. the only thing i would change about his creation is that he focused solely on absorption (it was for his home theatre). if/when i create my own, i would take a page out of jeff strongs book and put panel on the back side so that u can flip the trap around to transform it from an absorber to a reflector. that way you can change the sound so its not so dead...to "liven things up" a bit.

Back