Getting 2 xtra tracks with my cassette deck?

VoltedWoman

I apparently need to be talked to like a 3 year old.

I have a Tascam 414 and a decent stereo component tape deck. I've read a couple of things about using the component deck to get more tracks out of my four track but I've tried what I think I'm reading and it doesn't work.
I think what I'm reading is telling me to mix down to the tape deck - take the tape out of the tape deck and put it into the 4 track and then I should have two tracks. Well, when I do that I get no readings on my 4 track and the music is really sped up (and kinda quiet).
How, exactly, do I get these extra tracks? I need every step pointed out to me. I've tried every configuration of the RCAs and the only thing I can think that may work is to get 1/4" adaptors for my RCAs and plug them straight into tracks 1 and 2. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Do they make RCA to 1/4" adaptors?
All I wanna do is rock - please, please help me.

Thanks
A.B.C.

Ack, you can't do that unless the Tascam plays back at the same speed -- good 4-tracks usually play faster to allow you to spread your signal over as many magnetic particles as possible and so get the best possible resolution. So the stereo tape will be be slower.
Wait, is the speed on the Tascam switchable (my old Yamaha 4-track was)? Then perhaps you can do the dub at the slower speed, then put it in and switch back to the faster tape speed. Might be a little off in tuning, since the speeds of the two tape decks are probably not perfect...

Good luck!

Yo woman of many SHOCKS:

What I can decipher from your post is close to the most secret codes of WW2; however, if you have a four track recorder, it will probably record on four tracks, or, one track at a time. So, if you sing on one track, play the keyboard on another track, put the bass on the third track and a horn solo on the forth track, you are out of tracks unless you BOUNCE the first three tracks to one track and then you can go back and do more stuff on the tracks you bounced.

But, REMEMBER, IF YOU BOUNCE TWO OR THREE TRACKS TO ONE TRACK, YOU CAN ONLY CONTROL THE VOLUME AND EQ FOR THE GROUP SOUND; you no longer can tweak each track as you could when they were SINGLE TRACKS.

I don't quite read your problem with plugs or repluging because it isn't necessary.

When you have, like, four tracks done by overdubbing, then you just need to mix them from your recorder to a tape via the outs on your recorder.

If you don't understand much of what I've said, consult with Bruce from Blue Bear Studios.

Green Hornet

Maybe I need to explain more...

Okay... here's what I'm asking...
I got this from indiecentre.com's 4-track recording information. The guy talks about how bouncing sucks because it kills the sound quality and then he says...

"What I do instead is create a home-made 6track recorder. Do a full 4track recording. Mix this down to your 2track tape deck."

Now, question 1 - Is the 2track tape deck he's talking about just a regular tape deck? Or is it something else? The article continues...

"Then, put the tape back in your 4track, panning the faders hard left and right. Turn off the dbx and you have a nice sounding stereo recording, plus two more tracks."

Questions 2 and more - So, do I put the tape from my regular tape deck into the 4track? Does it automatically send the signal to 2 tracks?

It seems like it should be easy but I am completely confused. What is going on?

Regular cassette decks are actually 4-tracks. They record two tracks in one direction; then you can turn the tape over and get two more in the other direction. You only hear the two at a time.

A 4-track just records all four in one direction; so you can't turn over the tape to get another "side."

If you mix four tracks to a stereo cassette you use up two of the tracks, leaving the other two to be used if you put it in the 4-track. But there's the speed issue I mentioned, and the noise reduction issues (4-tracks often use dbx and regular cassettes have Dolby and the two are not compatible). You can turn them off but then your tapes are a bit noisier.

Re: Maybe I need to explain more...

Originally posted by VoltedWoman
I got this from indiecentre.com's 4-track recording information. The guy talks about how bouncing sucks because it kills the sound quality and then he says...

"What I do instead is create a home-made 6track recorder. Do a full 4track recording. Mix this down to your 2track tape deck."

It's a good idea, but it sure isn't a 6-track. But I wouldnt call it bouncing either. "Submixes"? In the Tascam forum a discussion is going on about this, where they call it "external bouncing".

Now, question 1 - Is the 2track tape deck he's talking about just a regular tape deck? Or is it something else?

It's a regular tape deck. But as said above, you need a 4-track that either runs on normal speed or is switchable between normal and high-speed. High-speed is better than normal, and some of the good things you get from this technique is offset by the loss in quality you get from having to use normal speed for half the recording. And, if your 4-track uses dbx, and your tape deck Dolby C, I'd say your better off without doing this, since you can't use noise reduction.

Questions 2 and more - So, do I put the tape from my regular tape deck into the 4track? Does it automatically send the signal to 2 tracks?

Yes. Track 1 and 3 if I remember correctly.

For more options on external bouncing see http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25201

Oh, and stop degrading yourself. This is not easy stuff to understand, especially if you aren't an engineer by education or trade. :) Go girl!

1 3/4 IPS and 3 1/2 IPS = Chipmunks

I am guessing that when you place the tape from your 2 Track (Home Stereo Cassette Deck) into the 4 track (Multi-track Deck) it sounds like Chipmunks..... because the 4 Track operates at 3 1/2 IPS (Inches per second) and a normal Cassette records at 1 3/4 IPS.

You can't just swap tapes from machine to machine.

You will have to figure out how to play back the submix and record on your 4 track, then ad the next two parts.

Sincerely;
Dom Franco

Back