Focusrite Forte sounds funny on head monitors?

mofat

It seems to lag or something and it sounds different quality-wise. If I listen thru my mixer it sounds perfect...but when I hook up my mixer to the Forte....and listen thru the Forte...it's awful. Am I the only one with this problem or am I not adjusting something correctly?
The way I connect the mixer to the Forte is thru the "mono out" jack.

Does the problem only exist during recording?
Stop recording, RTZ and play. If the problem magically disappears then it was possibly a latency issue.

You hear the real acoustic sound from the room, but also a slightly delayed sound in the headphones.
The combination sounds odd, but the recording's just fine.

You wouldn't get this when monitoring an analog mixer's output.

Just a guess. :)

yes, just when I record and trying to hear myself as I record. I only record 1 track though... The mixer is a zed 12fx..it's usb. Recording is great thru that but it doesn't have high headroom. The Forte has a ton of headroom compared to the zed, but this latency is a big issue. What's a good acceptable range for latency?

Ok Good. That's the cause.

Options.
1: Mute the track while you're recording. If you take off one side of the headphones, that should help.
2: Set up 'direct monitoring'. Apparently the forte has it. I'm not familiar with that interface though.
3: If 1+2 fail, turn down the h/w buffer setting in your daw whilst recording.
64 or 128 is a good setting for recording. If you experience clicks/pops then turn it up to 512/1024 for mixing.

Back