A dumb question about vocals

Sadistic 666

I know that this is gonna make sound like a dumb ass but this is the "newbie" forum so heres a newbie question.

I do rap music (everyone loves rap music,lol) so I use premade beats. Now so far all my questions have been about vocals because for right now thats all I'm doing. I have gotten useful info on how to change my voice,how to record better and the first basic steps. Now what I'm asking is whats a good way to stay on beat. I have been told to listen for a certain beat in the music and use that as a guide but I don't know what I should be listening for. What are some other ways or tips. If it would be helpful to know what the beats I'm using are tell me and I'll post the URLs.

D@mn,wish my younger brutha' was here as that's all he does in his studio. But I will take a stab at it seein' that I'm old-school and use to listen to rap!
Today's raps are basically lyrically free-forms that uses an
off-beat syncopation rhyming against basic break-beats and rhythms in 4/4ths time for 2 measures.
Let's say the beat goes....Boom-2-3-Boom-boom (or 1-2-3-4/4,the 1st 4 being an 8th beat),you can do an off/beat lyrical free-form on the 1st measure in any time you want as long as you end up in time on the 2nd measure's 4th beat.
Lets say the rap goes something like this:
"MisterQ-here for you,comin thru-to-flew like SuperMan" (end of 1st measure) "Can,plan-proud..with a mic in his hand" (end of the 2nd measure with ..."mic in his hand" ending in beat at 4) Now mind you I have absolutely no skillz in rapping as I mostly play Jazz-Funk and R-B Jazz,
but I do understand the rhythmic flow used to stay on beat.
Start your rhymes simple against the break-beat taking care
that you are on beat and add more syncopated lyrics to each measure.
Good Luck
Peace
Mr.Q

Back