Drummer VS. iPad Mini Audio Interface

TheGinger

I own an iPad Mini (1st Gen., NOT Retina Display), and I have recently begun collaborating online. I am a drummer, and to record I use two mics that feed into my Dad's Eurovision mixer, which feeds into his severely outdated BR-532. I hate this process, because I have to transfer all my tracks onto a CD, then transfer the CD onto my computer and edit them through Audacity. I'm about to make a decent amount of money and would like to spend it on an audio interface/or dock for my iPad Mini. I've been reading up online but I am super confused about which devices are compatible with the iPad Mini.
My Questions:
I would like anybody to please explain what a USB port or Apple Lightning Connectivity Kit are and how they work with the iPad Mini and audio interface. I would also like any advice on a GOOD product (I emphasize the good because I've read many reviews about these interfaces lacking good audio reception (a.k.a buzzing or humming).

My Requirements For The Interface:
Must be compatible with 1st Generation iPad Mini with or without Lighting Connectivity Kit or USB port
2-4 Mic Inputs
Must be Phantom Powered
I would like the nicest available interface at the cheapest price possible, but I will spend 150 or even 200 bucks for something good
Would like it to be chargeable to avoid batterie draining, but this is not necessary

I'll move this to the Newbies section. It will get better traction there.

Not sure if people here are familiar enough with recording on an ipad to give a good answer, but...

My Requirements For The Interface:
Must be compatible with 1st Generation iPad Mini with or without Lighting Connectivity Kit or USB port
2-4 Mic Inputs
Must be Phantom Powered
I would like the nicest available interface at the cheapest price possible, but I will spend 150 or even 200 bucks for something good
Would like it to be chargeable to avoid batterie draining, but this is not necessary

Considering most of the cheapest USB interfaces with only 2 inputs run for about $200, I'm not sure you're going to find anything I'd call "good" that runs to an iPad with 4 inputs for that price.

My suggestion is to use a laptop/desktop and purchase an actual interface, and not use the iPad for this stuff at all.

Totally with Mr W!

iPads and portable recorders are I am sure fine for "scratch" capture and in experienced hands I would bet capable of good results but if you are going to do this thing properly you definitely need an audio interface (check out the new list stuck in Newbs).

Now I know NOTHING about drums but I bet your kit cost a pretty penny? Keep that "chain of quality" in mind when selecting recording equipment.

Dave.

iPads and portable recorders are I am sure fine for "scratch" capture
Agree. My wife has an iPad and it barely takes pictures with a suffering quality. I imagine try to record sound with it. Don't get me wrong, I am not cursing about the iPads, actually I think they are the most useable tablet out there but the truth is that you cannot expect that it does the job of a computer. You mentioned that you are going to get a decent amount of money. What does it mean 'decent'? Why not instead to buy a good notebook instead?

You may have a problem with it being a 1st generation ipad.
They were more limited.

I am not at all an "iPerson" so I have no experience. I do however read of people having problems using laptops (say) of i7/8G ram power and so can only conclude that using anything less is tying at least one hand round back?

Dave.

For just tracking, I'm sure an iPad is perfectly capable. It boils down to whether you can get the tracks off there to a more capable machine for mixing, etc.

Have a look at this: -

Focusrite iTrack Dock iPad Recording Interface at Gear4Music.com

---------- Update ----------

And this: -

Top 30 Devices and Interfaces for iPad Audio - Tuts+ Music & Audio Article

Except that's only 2 inputs, and is almost $100 over his max budget for an interface, so it doesn't really suffice for his needs.

Except that's only 2 inputs, and is almost $100 over his max budget for an interface, so it doesn't really suffice for his needs.

OP said 2-4 inputs. I was just demonstrating that such things exist, which I found via a quick Google. OP might realise that his budget won't do what he wants, who knows...

OP said 2-4 inputs. I was just demonstrating that such things exist, which I found via a quick Google. OP might realise that his budget won't do what he wants, who knows...

Haha, that's what I'm hoping for. $150-200 probably isn't going to cut it for the needs listed.

Back