Don't Know Where To Start

Hand of Doom

For sxiteen years playing live in a bedroom. I'm finally getting bit by the recording bug. But I'm just wanting to ask for some advice to steer me in the right direction. I think I want to go PC based.

My Computer's Specs:

Athlon XP-A 2200Mhz
512MB Ram
80GB Drive

One thing is for certain. I'm going to need another PCI card. I haven't got any 1/4" inputs at all. The one thats there now has a line out, line in and a mic input(all 1/8").

Would it be wise to boost the performance at all. More RAM, slave drive, etc, to avoid latency.

Or just get a new tower.

All I'll be recording is electric guitar.

My idea was just to run my guitar through a PODxt. I haven't got an amp worth using for recording(JCM 900 head, which of course has no stereo loop). Which that amp hasn't allowed me to use my G-Major. And of course I'll need either monitors or headphones for mixing. Any recommendations on recording software? Would a separte mixer be needed. I haven't go a lot of money to invest in all of this. $1500 at the most.

I don't need my recordings sounding anything "professional" really. I'd like them to come out somewhat decent. I'll be the only one listening to my recordings.

You're right, a soundcard is going to be a definate need, the stock soundcard on most PCs just isn't up to par for recording. Adding more RAM will help too. For a gear review and a simple explanation of the basics of recording I recomend that you visit http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm this should give you a good idea of what is available and the cost and you can get a lot of tips there on how to use the gear once you get it. You might find better prices elsewhere but this should give you a starting point. By the way, welcome aboard. Don't hesitate to ask questions, even the simple things are sometimes confuseing, especialy when you are first starting.

Back