Do you record better drunk or sober???

AL P

I did a search but could`nt find the answer I was looking for...

KIDDING!!!....LOL...
really though, new guy here looking forword to reading my AZZ off and learning as much as my brain can posibley handle..which may or may not be a whole lot..LOL..

I found this place thanks to a friend who sent me a link to the Harvey gerst infamous "big thread" all about mics.....WOW...GREAT thread!!!

I`ve always known SHURE was GOOD, radio shack was BAD LOL...but not alot about condensors and the various use`es for a given mic etc....

Anyway, I`m not really looking to get a full out home recording studio going, but rather, just record myself making horrible noise`es on my guitar, and maybe add the ole lady blindley plucking my ole bass....LOL..

That said..one day I may try and record a friends-kids band one of these days..obviously not looking for professional results, cause that just ain`t gonna happen, but I do think it`d be fun to try it..(of course, that`s probley what they all say in the beginning, until the attempt actually takes place, then ya want to rip your hair out)..LOL

at any rate, I`ve been in the music scene for a while, been occasionally making noise on my guitar (started playing as a young`in in about 1982, but never really stuck with it, so I`m still struggling with the same basic/beginner tunes I was working on back then..LOL) ..been in a couple bands as a crappy bass player over the years..but never been much involved in the mixing/recording end of things..I`m currently a part time mobile DJ, these days mainly just for family and friends (weddings, retirements, graduations etc)...

most of my equiptment is about as old as I am..not really...but some of it ain`t far behind...LOL

anyway, I guess that about wraps it up..was`nt sure if this was the place for an introduction, or even if there is one...

Now if i may ask a question or two..
1. does anyone have a link to a current/working PDF on the harvey gerst MIC thread? every one i clicked on in the thread seamed to not be working anymore? thanks..

2...what do you guys preffer for an EQ..not "brand", but "band"..is there a minimal band you preffer? and/or is there such a thing as an over kill? like a 31 band?...just ask`in..thanks..

Welcome man. Lots of helpful advice here.

Just for shits, I record MUCH better sober haha.

Last edited:
:laughings: Stoned gotta be stoned. :cool:

I think Harvey said in a post not to long ago that he has made a link to everything.

31 bands are good but a multi parametric EQ is better ..... really depends on what your doing and how your going about it.

Hey and welcome.

I can't remember the details, but Harvey posted up a notice recently saying that he had moved all his online resources.

It was a simple change IIRC, but click his name and look at his recent posts to see for yourself.

He hasn't been very active here for a while so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply`s everyone...

I did a search on Harvey gerst post, and found what I believe is the one with the new info....but not sure where the heck to enter it?..
At the risk of sounding like a moroon...(may be too late..LOL)..anyway, I`m not sure where the heck to enter the new file names? on his site or??
plus, my present comp is lacking the proper program for reading RAR files, so i was hoping someone had the info on a PDF?

now as far as the EG, a multi parametric EQ would be the cat`s pajama`s..but I`m lacking the funds for a decent one of them, so was just thinking about a regular unit....but i will defiantly keep one in mind, thanks for the sugestion!!

ohh, and i figured out the answer to my original question...here it is..
Record while absolutly dead sober, but listen to the play back drunk...it seams to be the perfect combo resulting in a GREAT recording everytime!! absolutly fantastic!!..LOL

kidding of course...LOL

thanks again everyone..

Hello and welcome..As mentioned, parametric EQs and 31 bands is designed to be better but in the wrong hands, it's from the Devil..!..BTW, I use to always feel I recorded better when I was drunk............Until I played back what I recorded and listen to it sober..!..Good luck

Thanks for the reply snatchman..
I went ahead and ordered a 31band EQ...did`nt have enough $$ for any kind of decent/name parametric unit..
hopefully, it`ll work out ok...just gonna have to mess with it, and see what sounds good and what does`nt..thinking the ole days of just settng the sliders up in a rock and roll "V" pattern probley ain`t gonna cut it for what I`m up to..LOL..

Thanks for the reply snatchman..
I went ahead and ordered a 31band EQ...did`nt have enough $$ for any kind of decent/name parametric unit..
hopefully, it`ll work out ok...just gonna have to mess with it, and see what sounds good and what does`nt..thinking the ole days of just settng the sliders up in a rock and roll "V" pattern probley ain`t gonna cut it for what I`m up to..LOL..

No problem..What 31 band EQ did you get..?..The Rane 27 band EQ is pretty decent for cheap..At least it doesn't get in the way of the sound..( beware of EQs or anything else) that messes with your signal in by-pass..!..The White 31 bands graphics are supposed to be really good..Good luck.

No problem..What 31 band EQ did you get..?..The Rane 27 band EQ is pretty decent for cheap..At least it doesn't get in the way of the sound..( beware of EQs or anything else) that messes with your signal in by-pass..!..The White 31 bands graphics are supposed to be really good..Good luck.

well...here goes...probley gonna get lectured, but that`s okay..LOL..
I got a Behringer FBQ6200 Ultragraph Pro EQ

I`m hiding behind the couch..LOL..it`s suppose to show a emoticon peaking out..LOL
scared02.gif

this is my lil`"smoke filled room in the corner of the basement"...LOL...
obviously NOT any kind of recording studio, but just a place where I make obnoxious noises..LOL

just for the heck of it, a few weeks back I decided to dig through the house and gather some of the various stringed instruments laying around the house and get a pick...got a few old violins, and a couple more POS clasical guitars not in the pic...now i just need to learn how to play one of the dang things..LOL...long story on how it all came to be here...
I`m still, and will always be a totall amateur on the guitar and bass, but have alot of fun messing around...anyway, lately, I`ve been getting more interested in running sound, and hopefully eventually doing some recording..nothing serious, but rather for fun...
all that said..this is no doubt the absolute BEST place for learn`in that I`ve ever ran across!!
great site guys!!

check out the ole TOA...has a built in tape player/recorder LOL....it still works perfectly surprizingly enough..(well the board does, the tape player needs a new belt...gotta crank up the pitch/speed control to get er in tune..LOL)..anyway, it comes complete with spring reverb and all..LOL
then there`s the old peavy SRC2400..LOL..yeah, some of my equiptment is just a tad old...LOL
(but sometimes, old is a good thing, like the martin to the far right..)
https://img856.imageshack.us/img856/46/pa110132r.jpg

this is my lil`"smoke filled room in the corner of the basement"...LOL...
obviously NOT any kind of recording studio, but just a place where I make obnoxious noises..LOL

just for the heck of it, a few weeks back I decided to dig through the house and gather some of the various stringed instruments laying around the house and get a pick...got a few old violins, and a couple more POS clasical guitars not in the pic...now i just need to learn how to play one of the dang things..LOL...long story on how it all came to be here...
I`m still, and will always be a totall amateur on the guitar and bass, but have alot of fun messing around...anyway, lately, I`ve been getting more interested in running sound, and hopefully eventually doing some recording..nothing serious, but rather for fun...
all that said..this is no doubt the absolute BEST place for learn`in that I`ve ever ran across!!
great site guys!!

check out the ole TOA...has a built in tape player/recorder LOL....it still works perfectly surprizingly enough..(well the board does, the tape player needs a new belt...gotta crank up the pitch/speed control to get er in tune..LOL)..anyway, it comes complete with spring reverb and all..LOL
then there`s the old peavy SRC2400..LOL..yeah, some of my equiptment is just a tad old...LOL
(but sometimes, old is a good thing, like the martin to the far right..)
https://img856.imageshack.us/img856/46/pa110132r.jpg

That's ok..Just have fun and learn to use the Behringer as best you can..Funny thing, this low end gear works basically just like the high end gear..It's just you'll know how to use the high end gear when you are ready to make the upgrade..!..Good luck..

Back