Connection question

cigarman

Second try at first post. This board seems very slow but the content I've read is great. I've got a Mackie CR 1604 mixer (classic) that I've used to set up live performances and also recorded to the el cheepo soundcard in my PC. I picked up a multichannel soundcard (ISIS XL - 8in, 4out) and a Furman PB-48 patch bay and have some questions on how to best hook them all together for recording to PC. I bring the mikes and instuments (guitar, bass, stereo synth, miked drums and vocals) direct into the Mackie now, would it be best to keep it this way or should I run them into the patch bay first? I've seen post on bringing out the mixer aux buss to a jackfield to support monitoring but need a bit more specific info on how to do that. Finally how best to hook up the soundcard goesintos and goesoutofs?
Thanks,
-=Steve

I don't do 'puter recording so I can't help you with that. But I did want you to know that the sites getting new gear for next week and it should be blazing fast again. Be sure to hang around 'cause this is the coolest site going. Also, when it gets fixed, check out the MP3 clinic. Some truly cool music posted over there.
Someone that knows about your question should be around soon. Welcome to the board.

That Mackie, does it have mic pre's on all 16 channels or only the first 6? Also unless I'm mistaken even if it has the additional 10 mic preamps I believe it only has channel inserts on the first 8 cnannels. Even so you can make a pretty powerful set up with what you have.
A patchbay would be nice but not nessassary. You can use the inserts on the first 8 channels as direct outputs to any of the 8 inputs on your card. You can also use the ALT 3-4 outputs for sub grouping things like drum toms with overheads or background vocals to a stereo pair. You can return the output of the computer to two unused channels on the mixer for monitoring. As long as you're driving the input of the card from either the channel inserts or the ALT 3-4 buss you won't set up a feed back loop problem and this will serve you well.

Ya the inserts become direct outs from the pre-amp when you only insert a cable to the first click.

this will bypass the eq and the fader, but that's ok. Now all you have to do is use the trim controll for level setting and make the track sound good with no EQ when recording. It's a snap:D

Have a ball:)

F.S.

Thanks for the help. It's wonderful that you guys jump in and help during the Holiday season.
I think I'll try the jackfield between the inserts on the first 8 channels and the soundcard inputs and take the four souncard outs to four channels on the Mackie in the second group.

-=Steve

Back