connecting a microphone into pc integrated soundcard?

hello my external interface is broken and i want to still record until i save up for a new one. i have a condenser mic connected to a preamp with phantom power and want to connect it to a pc or laptop. Thinking connect the preamp's 1/4 inch output via a 1/8th inch adapter into pc, will this work good? into the "mic in" or "line in"?

A 1/4" TS (Tip-Sleeve) to 1/8" TS adapter will likely work into the line input assuming the preamp has adequate gain. The line input is stereo, so the recorded sound will be left or right which is likely how your interface was. What is your preamp (make/model)?

How have you determined your interface to be broken? Maybe an off chance it isn't and maybe you could provide some symptoms and we could perhaps offer some ideas.

The main problem is likely to be overload. Even if the PC has a "line" input, and many don't, it will likely be configured for -10dBV (about 300mV) operation and not the output of a mic pre amp which is probably +4dBu or around 1V.

You will surely have to set the gain down in Windows Sounds menu, probably from 100% to around 5% but if the pre amp clips the input you will just have to run with less pre amp gain and that could compromise the noise performance. Depends of course on actual mic usage.

The technically best solution is an attenuator on the output of the pre amp but I am betting making such a device is beyond your present capability?

Dave.

Back