Is comp suitable

leobluesy

Hello
Im just getting to grips with cool edit. and lost a few hours work..... should have saved as I went,,,,, but it usually recovers.
This time it slowed a little,,, then crashed twice and it failed to save or recover.

Im wondering if the machine is not up to the job...

I was running about 4 full tracks and a few part tracks with fx....... just recording adding a bassline and,,it died,

,,,,just a basic home computer

AMD 64 X 2 dual core processor
5200 + 2.7 GHZ
1.87 GB RAM
450 GB free space.

Do I need to go see Santa
or get out my 4 track

thanksssss

Leo

Hello
Im just getting to grips with cool edit. and lost a few hours work..... should have saved as I went,,,,, but it usually recovers.
This time it slowed a little,,, then crashed twice and it failed to save or recover.

Im wondering if the machine is not up to the job...

I was running about 4 full tracks and a few part tracks with fx....... just recording adding a bassline and,,it died,

,,,,just a basic home computer

AMD 64 X 2 dual core processor
5200 + 2.7 GHZ
1.87 GB RAM
450 GB free space.

Do I need to go see Santa
or get out my 4 track

thanksssss

Leo

That set up is more than adequate. I've run many more tracks in Sonar than that on a much less capable machine. I don't know Cool Edit, but it sounds like it's a software/driver issue rather than a comp issue.
Just my 2 kb worth....

teysha is right, your computer is much much much more than capable.

do you have alot of programs running while you record? such as firewalls, antivirus, messenger, things like that?

do you have any other programs that have issues while your running them?

haha, yeah, I'd say your computers specs or certainly up to the task. My recording computer is has literally half the spec of what you quoted :D. You definitely need to save as you go. You might consider dropping the out-of-date and/or illegitimate software too. That stuff isnt always exactly reliable. Check out Reaper. :)

thankssssssssss !!!

Thank you for the replies.........
Yes I do leave anti virus stuff runnin and firewalls etc
I will close everything..
and save regularly....
oops and yes,, a friend gave me the cool edit:cool:
just to get me off my 4 track.(good guess)
There seems to be little info on cool edit... maybe not a fave of recording folks.
If I decide to try out a legit recording prog,,,,and I have been looking around... are there any suggestions for DAW that would not break the bank... piggy that is,,,

thanks again !!

Leo

Thank you for the replies.........
Yes I do leave anti virus stuff runnin and firewalls etc
I will close everything..
and save regularly....
oops and yes,, a friend gave me the cool edit:cool:
just to get me off my 4 track.(good guess)
There seems to be little info on cool edit... maybe not a fave of recording folks.
If I decide to try out a legit recording prog,,,,and I have been looking around... are there any suggestions for DAW that would not break the bank... piggy that is,,,

thanks again !!

Leo

like jeff recommended, check out reaper. its free and its much more popular and alot of people on this forum use it so if you had any problems it would be very easy for them to help you out. also because its so popular its much more likely to have guides to it around the internet and how-to videos

Link to the reaper website

like jeff recommended, check out reaper. its free and its much more popular and alot of people on this forum use it so if you had any problems it would be very easy for them to help you out. also because its so popular its much more likely to have guides to it around the internet and how-to videos

Link to the reaper website

+10 for Reaper. I don't use it, but alot of my amigos do and they love it. Free to use....and I think they ask for a $30 donation or something if you decide to keep it. Anyway, very cost effective and you've got a good knowledge base of users here to help you! Good luck.:cool:

+10 for Reaper. I don't use it, but alot of my amigos do and they love it. Free to use....and I think they ask for a $30 donation or something if you decide to keep it. Anyway, very cost effective and you've got a good knowledge base of users here to help you! Good luck.:cool:

Reaper is $60, but WELL worth it (but the free trial version never expires and is totally unencumbered). I've been using it for the last couple years now since I switched from....... Cool Edit. :D

ok thanks

Thanks again........ Im really grateful for the replies and advice... I will take a look at Reaper Ive heard of it but not seen it.
Will go look right now........
I'll let you guys know how I get on with it in a few days....

Best Regards
Leo

Back