a capella recording

eujinn

hi, i'm no aspiring performer. just a pretty average vocalist, and i like to record songs basically for my friends, etc.

i do a capella, and am tired of using the primitive method of recording i've been using for quite some time. i.e. 1) using mp3 player to record the song's melody being sung. 2) play that melody on a normal computer spkr, at the same time recording it together with me singing the backup/harmony this time round.

so what i get is the melody sounds kind of distorted since it is being played out from a basic spkr. i tried having tri-harmonies but the first part just gets too distorted.

so essentially i need a mic and a multi-recorder. is there anything else i need?

a few things about myself:

1) on budget. i'm not looking for world-class stuff.

2) i'm looking at singing 4 or 5 part a capella arrangements( lead vocals, accompaniment, bass vocals, beat box)

3) i'm quite unfortunately quite tech-unsavvy. total noob.

i hope someone has some suggestions for me! would really appreciate it!

Welcome to this forum! You should describe what kind of computer you have (brand, speed, RAM, etc.) I'm assuming you have the stock soundcard in your mystery computer; here's a good site to read up on soundcards, which are the most important link (and can be the gold link, but not necessarily) in what will be your new way of recording: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm
You say you're on a budget: How much can you spend? You'll need just a mic, presumably the soundcard, and recording software. So, $100.00, $100.00, free. For around two hundred, you will get results that you will like, probably really like.
For now, you can listen to the results on the computer speakers; you'll soon need monitors and headphones. The most important thing here (even more so than the soundcard) is the ability and the desire to read up on this: many people want to wave a wand and have it happen, but you must read up and familiarize your self with a lot of stuff. Even if you're not tech-savvy, there is no reason why you can't get good with recording, but you must do your homework. Be sure to post back with the pertinent information . . . .

hey thanks for the suggestions!

hi, actually, i'm still quite unsure what a soundcard actually does. can it be connected to a computer and from there you 'mix' the tracks?

i saw the link above but still it's sounds kinda profound to a tech-donkey like me.

anyway, what does "recording software" mean? is it stuff like MIDI?

thanks again!

plug N' play

Hi,

A sound card is little piece of hardware you buy. It's a printed circuit board that fits in a slot in your computer. They usually give instructions on how to install them... but you probably could find a techy geek to help you if you've never put one in before.

The one thing you need to make sure of though is,

Know what kind of computer you have (Mac or PC?) and whether your particular computer will support the sound card and its driver software. Read the specs for the card carefully and make sure your computer satisfies the minimum requirements.

right in front of your nose!

Oh! And that little advertised card in this thread! The M-Audio that posts right after your post would be perfect! $79 !!! It have everything you need besides the Mic and the voice! :)

Oh! And that little advertised card in this thread! The M-Audio that posts right after your post would be perfect! $79 !!! It have everything you need besides the Mic and the voice! :)

Unfortunately, that ad rotates. It's a Yamaha keyboard right now. And it'll be something else before he checks back. Do you remember what card it was? Maybe you could tell him about it...

Ah pooh!

Sorry.... of course it revolves.. durh ralph.. I eat my hat. and it looks like the add revolved right out of existence because I can't find it again... even on M-Audio's web site..

I DID find something maybe even better.. for a simple multi-track recording solution specifically designed for voice...

It comes with "Sessions" software that is very simple to use.

this like like it would be fairly easy to use for someone that wasn't very techno savvy.

Oh fud! this site won't let me post a URL...

Go to google and search for "M-Audio Session Music Producer"
:eek:

Back