Can i plug a condenser mic to 48v phantom power and then plug it to my 15v phantom po

Vicente Vieytes

I have a Behringer Xenyx302usb, i want to buy an Audio technica AT2020 wich needs 48v phantom power, but the mixer only provides 15v. I have seen the mic work on the mixer but i think i'd get a better result taking it to full 48v. I was thinking about buying a direct phantom power box so that i could plug the mic to the 48v, and from there to the mixer. But i am worried that since the mixer is already providing the 15v phantom it would damage the microphone, or that it just wouldn't work. Thanks

I have a Behringer Xenyx302usb, i want to buy an Audio technica AT2020 wich needs 48v phantom power, but the mixer only provides 15v. I have seen the mic work on the mixer but i think i'd get a better result taking it to full 48v. I was thinking about buying a direct phantom power box so that i could plug the mic to the 48v, and from there to the mixer. But i am worried that since the mixer is already providing the 15v phantom it would damage the microphone, or that it just wouldn't work. Thanks

The AT2035 will (per AT spec) run on 15v, though pulls more mA. Why not look at other mics?
AT2035 Cardioid Condenser Microphone || Audio-Technica

The mic's ability to cope with dynamic range suffers a bit as does the noise figure, but frankly, if it powers up for general work you won't notice. Recording the dawn chorus with gain cranked up might reveal it a bit more.

The 15 volts from the mixer will never get to the AT mic. By definition a phantom supply box isolates the DC output. It is intended after all to be used with inputs that don't have and are not intended to cope with 48V*.

This of course assumes the 48V box is of decent quality and design and I have bought some ***t ones! If you get one, FIRST job check the output XLR is at zero volts DC. No meter? Fekkin' GET ONE! Two things unrelated to music the home recordist should have. A $20 digital meter and a $20 C weighted sound level meter (or a CALIBRATED phone app).

*Very few things are. Never connect anything other than microphones or gear intended to go there to 48V powered inputs. Phantom power will NOT shock you nor create Star Wars SFX but stuff will just stop working.

WTGR Rob, I would have thought low V phantom power would show up as reduced headroom? But I have not done any tests.
Dave.

Back