Bouncing tracks

Xrod

Greetings!

Perhaps this question would be better located in the Logic discussion, but I would think that other DAW's have a similar function to Logic's Flex editing. I hope I can make myself clear on this...

I have several tracks utilizing Flex for quantization and pitch correction. In addition to the extra demands put on my computer processing power, I am limited on certain editing features while Flex is engaged, such as being able to create fades for example.

The same seems to apply to any automation that I may have used on individual tracks.

I know that bouncing these tracks will allow these tracks to be "rendered", thus allowing further edits and additional processing with plug-ins, but of course you are then stuck with what you get...

So, how do you handle this in your workflow?

Do you;

1. Make a copy of the track and bounce that one leaving the original untouched and perhaps hide it from view.

2. Bounce only a "dry" track and add all plug-ins to the bounced track only.

3. Only bounce tracks when you get to the mixing stage.

Hope that makes sense!

Haven't 'bounced' since moving to computer DAW from a stand-alone recorder. Doesn't Logic allow you to stem render each track? (Reaper does). You stem render the CPU-intensive tracks, then you still have your original tracks available (muted with all plug-ins disabled) in case you need to go back and change anything.

Haven't 'bounced' since moving to computer DAW from a stand-alone recorder. Doesn't Logic allow you to stem render each track? (Reaper does). You stem render the CPU-intensive tracks, then you still have your original tracks available (muted with all plug-ins disabled) in case you need to go back and change anything.

In Sonar this is called "Freezing" a track, but yeah this would be the way to go. It basically makes a bounced downmix in place, which can be easily unfrozen for further modification, but while frozen doesn't use any cpu / system resources. It's become the trick to getting many layers of VST on a single track and still be able to work with other equally complex and layered tracks without latency (increased live tracking delays, dropouts) becoming an issue.

I've never had to do this, so I'm sure the other guys got you covered above. But if worse came to worse, can you not just save the project pre-changes under one name, then make your changes and save that project under a different name. I'm sure there are other (easier) ways, but I'm sure this would work.

In Sonar this is called "Freezing" a track, but yeah this would be the way to go. It basically makes a bounced downmix in place, which can be easily unfrozen for further modification, but while frozen doesn't use any cpu / system resources.

Logic has Freeze Track functionality also.

J

Thanks guys, I found a YouTube video on how to freeze tracks in Logic. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Back