Beginner, I need a mic

Francescocagna

hi guys. this is my first post here and I have a question, what's the best mic for a beginner to do an all around recording? (guitar amp, acoustic guitar and vocals possibly). I have a focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I was looking at a pair of samson co2's for stereo recording of two things at the same time. can you recommend me something fairly cheap or generally on what to look for? looking to spend not more than 150 euros i think... thank you very much!

What are the "two things" you'd be recording?

Cheap always means something is sacrificed. Quick look at these shows they have a relatively high self-noise spec. Something that might not be noticeable for home recorders depending on your space and what you're recording, but 22dB is up there. (My relatively cheap pair of SP C4s are spec'd at 16dB.)

I like having a high pass switch and pad both, and these are not common at the bottom, though I see a high-pass switch on many lower end pairs. The Samson pair lack this, and it can be useful since SDCs are not shock mounted and (IME) susceptible to some rumble coming through the floor/stand setups if, e.g. as I am, you're on the 2nd floor of a thinly built house... The pad switch may not be of any interest unless you start to mic drums, or stick it in front of a trumpet perhaps.

I've read some folks are happy with the RØDE M5 pair. ($200USD advertised at Sweetwater.)

No experience with them but the SE sE7 pair look good on paper. Sweetwater lists them as "new" so no reviews, and I don't know if they're available in your area, or what the price would be there. The MAP here is $200USD.

I don't really need to record two things at the same time. I'm just looking at a nice mic that could be used for the occasions listed above...

For a single mic to do voice, acoustic and electric guitar amp, I'd probably look at a large diaphragm condenser (LDC) with a good SPL level and a pad switch. The AKG Perception 220 is one that meets those requirements, currently on sale in the states for $120USD. Audio-Technical 2035 is another - $130USD. There are probably others.

Lower end LDCs generally have some compromises but read reviews, buy something, and get started recording! A decent mic like either of those two will always be useful, even if you decide later on that you want something different.

For a versatile mic I would stay with an SDC. The only possible drawback is for vocals but a good pop shield should sort that.

I am rather drawn to the SE Electronics SE8s (will find a review) . I doubt a self noise of 22dB will cause a problem (has to be judged against sensitivity of course) My AKG P150s are specc'ed at 20dB and I have never had bother.

sE Electronics - Sound On Sound Reviews the sE8

Dave.

I used Samson CO2's for a while when starting out for drum overheads. To me they were really harsh sounding in the upper end.

I gave one away but still use one for HH mic. Kind of ironic as HH's are usually harsh, but the better overhead mics get the sizzle. The CO2's as the body if needed.

For acoustic guitar, I am not sure I would recommend them, but you don't know until you try. :)

Back