Audio Monitor suggestion

ironmaidenas

Greetings everyone!
I just recently started assembling my home studio.
I do not think I lack anything major asides from a good pair of audio monitors.Right now I am using an old Altec Lansing set that I got with my PC something like 7-8 years ago.As you can understand they are not good at all.They cant handle well high basses and they also lack the quality I expect them to have.
Now I am not a total noob when it comes to audio monitors since I have done my research but I can't actually choose one.
First of all the music that I play is mostly metal ranging from heavy metal all the way to black,death etc but I also every once in a while enjoy playing jazzy or blues stuff.Thus I would like my monitors to be versatile.
I am not looking for the epitome of music production equipement but I would like to take my first steps in the business especially since I am part of a band and I also am occupied with various projects of my own.
Finally my budget can't excede the 300 euros mark.
I know full well that you get whatever you pay for but this is my limit...
Thanks in advance everyone!

What audio interface do you have? How big is the room? Do you have acoustic treatment (ie bass traps) now?

Great speakers won't help if your room lies to you. Get at least some bass traps in the corners and ceiling cloud/primaries covered (should cost less than $250 if you DIY). THEN shoot for JBL 308's, the HS -7s suggested, Rokit 8 gen 3s, or whatever else you find.
Like always, I suggest going to a local shop and grabbing a pair. Take a good listen in your environment and then return them within the store's grace period and pick up something else. Do that several times; take notes; use an SPL app to make sure you're listening at the same levels. Go back and get the pair you like best...
A little more specific on isn't too big might be helpful. Could be anywhere from walk in closet to amphitheater, depending on your point of view...

Black Metal is supposed to sound like crap. So you Altec Lansings will be fine for that. haha. Just a joke. I have always liked that most black metal is really lo-fi.

I have KRK Rokkit 5's and i am pretty happy with them. No real complaints. i find if i push them too hard it creates a bit of mush but i think that is just my room. If my environment was treated a little better i could probably push them harder. But for price and sound quality this was what my ears and wallet liked.

Rokit 5's are definitely best bang for buck here in the UK too!

In fact if it weren't for the deal I got on the HS-7's I'd have walked out with the KRK's and I spent about 2 hours in the shop and listened to about 8 pairs of different monitors.
The HS-8's (and most of the 8" monitors) were out of my price range but trounced the 8" KRK's.
But the story was reversed in the 5" category where the Rokit-5's sounded much better than the HS-5's...

The HS-7's sounded better than the Rokit-5's in the highs and a little punchier in the mids but there wouldn't have been enough to go with them if I weren't offered the deal that I was!

They deffo got repeat business out of me though... They're in the next city out from where I am but worth the extra drive!

Find a store with lots of stock set up... Walk in, tell them you plan on spending your paycheck on monitors and you're gonna have to test some out... If their customer service is any good they'll make you a coffee and spend the time plugging in&out anything you might be interested in.

Back