audio interface issues

I just bought the Scarlett solo audio interface to use for home recording and it works great except for playback from my pc.

it has two front inputs ( one mic and one lead), red and white audio out put at the back and a usb connection....

I was planning on using it as the output for any sound off my pc as it makes sense rather than having to unplug the red and white speakers and go back and forth with the pc onboard audio.

but whenever i play anything off the pc through it there is a clicking/popping noise.

So basically if i play my guitar or sing into the mic, it will playback fine through the speakers but if i record the guitar or vocals on the pc and play it back then i get popping/clicking.

i've trued using different usb on my pc and some of the other ones were worse they even made any audo i played go down an octave or two :eek:

So yeah i could use it fine to play any instrument through it in real time but anything that is sent from pc through the usb cable plays all clicking and popping.

any ideas ?

PC is a year or so old
8gb of ram
windows 7
installed a second video card so have dual graphics using amd.

anything else need to know just ask :)

Id playing from your DAW, try increasing the buffer settings see where the pops go away. If you have dual graphic cards, you probably have our computer loaded with a lot of apps, so hard to know how much resources are being used just when the computer is idle. Increase your buffer settings for now, when you record decrease them to reduce your latency.

Once you have that sorted out, if you require, you can tune your computer to not have to do that or if you don't want to tweak it because you use it for other things, at least know what the trade offs are.

Id playing from your DAW, try increasing the buffer settings see where the pops go away. If you have dual graphic cards, you probably have our computer loaded with a lot of apps, so hard to know how much resources are being used just when the computer is idle. Increase your buffer settings for now, when you record decrease them to reduce your latency.

got this with latency mon while playing song on youtube.

Once you have that sorted out, if you require, you can tune your computer to not have to do that or if you don't want to tweak it because you use it for other things, at least know what the trade offs are.

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:01:35 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: KEVIN-PC
OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
Hardware: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., F2A55M-HD2
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 6085 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3893 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 19818.152980
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 6.437728

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 431.115321
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.928649

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 34.622142
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.219772
Driver with highest ISR total time: hal.dll - Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.281737

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 139933
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 284.344464
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 1.158622
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 1.630529

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 717955
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 3
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 67
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 58
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 36655.091960
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.116854
Number of processes hit: 2

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.432381
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 34.622142
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.884032
CPU 0 ISR count: 104158
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 240.848446
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 1.783471
CPU 0 DPC count: 559416
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.904841
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 32.262522
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.045077
CPU 1 ISR count: 8903
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 247.534806
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 1.036365
CPU 1 DPC count: 34903
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.435727
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 29.202928
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.050330
CPU 2 ISR count: 9707
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 253.505266
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 1.318910
CPU 2 DPC count: 57213
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.102295
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 31.579245
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.095082
CPU 3 ISR count: 17165
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 284.344464
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 2.079963
CPU 3 DPC count: 66426
______________________________________________________________________________________________

also i get no issues when playing media through my onbaord graphics card.... its just i dont wanna be unplugging the speakers from onboard graphics into the external audio interface everytime i choose to record music or switch back when i wanna watch media on my pc if that makes sense would rather just let the external AI be the output for everything

Right, scanning through your results, you need to determine if you want to tweak your computer. If you set it for audio only, it may affect your gaming. You will have to determine your balance.

i dont use my pc for any gaming at all...... i just use it for browsing the net, watching movies,listening to music, streaming and hopefully now for recording music

i dont use my pc for any gaming at all...... i just use it for browsing the net, watching movies,listening to music, streaming and hopefully now for recording music

OK, dual graphics card? That is what threw me off. That is usually a sign of someone gaming or doing video.

Start here: Optimising your PC for audio on Windows 7 | Focusrite

You may not have to do all of these steps. For example, I do not disable my virus software, Paid version of Malware bytes. It seems to know when to scan for files and when not and doesn't provide much stress on the system. I would defer the "Advanced optimisation" on first pass. I have an older system and I just had to do some adjustments to get it to perform well. However, under 512 buffer setting will stress a lot of systems. Just be aware.

I also disable my onboard sound in the bios and run everything through my interface. I don't even want the drivers to load. Follow the above link, increase your buffers. That will get you good. Then as you progress you can try to improve it.

Hope this helps.

OK, dual graphics card? That is what threw me off. That is usually a sign of someone gaming or doing video.

Start here: Optimising your PC for audio on Windows 7 | Focusrite

You may not have to do all of these steps. For example, I do not disable my virus software, Paid version of Malware bytes. It seems to know when to scan for files and when not and doesn't provide much stress on the system. I would defer the "Advanced optimisation" on first pass. I have an older system and I just had to do some adjustments to get it to perform well. However, under 512 buffer setting will stress a lot of systems. Just be aware.

I also disable my onboard sound in the bios and run everything through my interface. I don't even want the drivers to load. Follow the above link, increase your buffers. That will get you good. Then as you progress you can try to improve it.

Hope this helps.

Was just about to do as u suggested when i came across another post similar to mine and they were told because they used amd that there was issues with the new drivers.... i uninstalled the newest driver for my AI and installed a very old one like suggested and all pops and clicks are gone :)....

so if it was a driver issue does that mean that my pc is not being taxed as hard as i thought it was with the latency mon results but actually a driver issue alone ?

Was just about to do as u suggested when i came across another post similar to mine and they were told because they used amd that there was issues with the new drivers.... i uninstalled the newest driver for my AI and installed a very old one like suggested and all pops and clicks are gone :)....

so if it was a driver issue does that mean that my pc is not being taxed as hard as i thought it was with the latency mon results but actually a driver issue alone ?

I don't fix what doesn't need fixed. If you are getting the performance "As Is" then leave it alone. If you do encounter problems (Plug Ins start to tax and then live monitoring with plug ins), then you may want to revisit the optimization link I sent. There are a few things you will probably need to do, but for now, just do some recording and not screwing with the computer. Nothing kills creativity and excitement like jacking with a computer. Do the optimization later when you think it is needed.

I do suggest going through those power settings and making sure you have those as suggested. They can cause PITA issues (like sleep mode that turns off USB ports). But I wouldn't do any more than that for now.

I don't fix what doesn't need fixed. If you are getting the performance "As Is" then leave it alone. If you do encounter problems (Plug Ins start to tax and then live monitoring with plug ins), then you may want to revisit the optimization link I sent. There are a few things you will probably need to do, but for now, just do some recording and not screwing with the computer. Nothing kills creativity and excitement like jacking with a computer. Do the optimization later when you think it is needed.

I do suggest going through those power settings and making sure you have those as suggested. They can cause PITA issues (like sleep mode that turns off USB ports). But I wouldn't do any more than that for now.

cheers man the part about set processor scheduling to background has helped in more ways than just audio.... my programs and such load faster now aswell so double bonus.

And, now that all seems be running nicely, set a Restore point. Call it "good audio" or suchwhich.

Then, if things should go Ts U at a later date you have a chance to get quickly back to a working condition. I know peeps recommend taking an "image" of the drive but AFAIK that won't get you back working nearly as fast as Restore?

I always suggest a USB hard drive, preff' USB 3.0, 1TB or bigger to keep the laptop system drive lightly loaded.

The point about OBSound is often forgotten. When folks have AI issues I usually tell them to disable OBS first..THEN install the AI software.

Dave.

Back