Answers and suggestions needed

soccer99

Ok, so my friend and I are in the process of buying and building our own home studio and I have some questions.

First off, I went out and bought a basic Pro Tools recording package. Which came with mbox mini, m-audio bx5a studio monitors, various plugins, and a m-audio condensor mic. I am using a behringer pa mixer until i get a new one. And i have been borrowing other mics from my college (im taking recording classes).

Heres the gear that I plan on getting.

Behringer Xenyx 2442 - $350@guitarcenter.com
CAD 7 drum mic set - $250@guitarcenter.com
1 or 2 shure sm57's - $100@guitarcenter.com
Digidesign 002 rack - EBAY!
Any feedback/suggestions on the gear would be appreciated.

So onto the questions.

Why do mixers say they have a certain amount of inputs, but not that many channels?

The 002 rack says 8 inputs, but only four? Is there any way to get more? I won't even be able to run all my drum mics into separate tracks in pro tools, how am i supposed to EQ them all?

Can i double up and get two 002's to get 8 inputs? Or any expansion cables/slots i can use?

If I were to buy a rack unit such as compression where does that go in the sound path? Before the mixer? After?

Can I use rack effects on certain mixer channels? Like eq on 1, compression on two...

Does bed foam work well for acoustical treatment? How about blankets? I was thinking of the bed foam because its so much cheaper than the studio foam...

May add more as i think of them... Hope none of these are too dumb...

You have lots of questions!

How many instruments are you planning on recording at once? If it will be the drums with 7 mics (or 8), and no other instruments at the time, then a 8-channel input is what you want? Do you want to be able to record each mic to a separate track so that you can apply effects, levels etc after recording? If so then you need an 8-input interface to the computer.

A mixer takes X number of inputs and mixes them down to Y number of outputs

The number of inputs is the number of physical places to plug in things - one XLR and 1 -1/4" phone plug input per channel, 4 channels = 8 inputs.

Back