Affordable interfaces for a 24 channel analogue mixer

laelo

I’ve revently bought an old mackie 24-8 analogue mixing desk as a home studio project and would like some recommendations on any affordable interfaces to hook it up with for multitrack recording. I’m looking for something with at least 16 outputs, however pre amps are not a must as there is plenty of pre’s on the desk and I won’t be recording much as it will mainly be used for mixing pre recorded stuff. If anybody has any suggestions of a suitable interface for me with a tight max budget of around £250, that would great!

The closest I can get to your budget, is an RME USB Digiface. 32 In / 34 Out. Less than 500 € new. It would need 3 ADAT boxes like the Behringer ADA8000 for 24 I/O. If you look around these can be found 2nd hand for less than 100 € a piece. Still 800 € total, though.

RME: Digiface USB

You would also get the RME drivers, Totalmix and Digicheck.

Tascam has a few affordable units with lots of inputs. But not so many outputs, I'm afraid. Only the Celesonic 20X20 has 20 outputs. Around 450 €, hard to find 2nd hand, as it's brand new.

I have, and am very happy with my Allen and Heath ice16.
16 ins 16 outs, no preamps. I plug straight into my board or use it for digitizing 16 track tape. :)
Interface works either with usb or the firewire card on my computer.
I have the added benefit of it working as a stand alone recorder, recording to either a memory stick or ssd.
:D

I am interested as to what affordable is, it can be $100 to some 0r $5000 to others. What budget are we working to as there are many ways to do this.

Cheers
Alan.

Back