Advice on upgrading

Andy_HFC

Hi folks,

I've been doing home recording for a few years now, but haven't been here before, i seem to have been missing out on a valuable resource, so i'd like to pick some brains!!

Currently my set up is allen and heath 14 channel desk into phase 88 terratec sound card into my PC. I use the direct outs on the desk into the 8 channels on the terratec, and use Sonar to mix etc.

I want to upgrade to allow 10-14 channels simultaneous recording. My PC is fine but obviously i need a new interface/desk.

I have heard that the fireface 800 with ADAT expansion is the way forward, combined with a 14 channel desk.

Alternatively - is there a USB desk that facilitates this? I.e. 14 channel desk straight into the PC allowing mutli tracking?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can listen to the last thing i recorded at

myspace.com/honeyforchrist

"All Hope Was Strangled" and "Orion Dust" are the 2 latest tracks i've done on this set up. the other tracks were my first attempt. Steep learning curve!!

Kind regards

Andy

You're a little over my head, but I do have an Echo AudioFire 12, that would allow for, yup, 12 simultaneous inputs - goes to firewire -- does your PC support it? If not, you can get a card, but I've heard some (particular firewire chipsets) are better than others.

Anyway, this isn't really a recommendation, since I probably don't understand everything about your setup, but I can say that the Echo unit is well built and well supported.

Cool band!

Cheers bud, I have a firewire card, but haven't put it in yet. I hear firewire is much better than USB so i think i'll be going down that road.

I'll check out the Echo AudioFire 12 you mentioned. Need someone who has used the fireface 800 to find out how good the preamps are.

Thanks again mate.

Andy
HFC

Back