Advice connecting recording studio gear and home music system

Arranger

My old Harmon Kardon 430 receiver and B.I.C. home stereo speakers from the '70s are really on their last legs.
Now I'm sitting here wondering if it would be sensible to connect my CD player, cable radio, and turntable in any known way to the rest of my recording studio gear - mixer, amp, live sound monitors. I know that my near-field monitors would not be my entertainment listening speakers.

Can anyone suggest if they have melded all of their studio and general music entertainment into one comprehensive system?

...oh, and how you'd go about doing it! Thank you.

Yo Arranger:

I have my entire studio hooked into a Yamaha AX 592 integrated amplifier -- works great.

The 592 will let me hook up two sets of speakers, CD, phono, two tape decks, AUX for DAT if needed.

I can record on both tape decks at once, or go from one to the other.

The 592 also has a "clear through" switch which will eliminate any color from the 592 -- but, it's a really good amp.

So, if I read your question right, you can hook up a studio to an integrated amp or go the other way, which costs a bit more and have a separate amp for your speakers. But, I like to run my stuff from my 2816 to tape sometimes -- a quickie method to record stuff. However, I burn CD's right on my 2816 for the "good stuff."

There are several types of integrated amps out there but I like the Yamaha. I suppose a Denon or Fisher some other would do as well. It all depends on how you want to set up your studio and how much you want to spend.

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

Back