Free Video Editor

andrushkiwt

I went to download a "free" video editor only to find that if I wanted to save the file as anything other than a project file (specific to the program), I had to pay. So, does anyone know of a truly free, fully functional, video creator/editor?

I simply want to add a wav file, then apply lyrics via various fonts that scroll across the screen as the song plays. There will also be a .jpg/.png file as the visual.

It will look similar to this, without the watermark that the editor I originally used placed across the screen:

Dropbox - Climb The Wall.wmv

If there are options for scrolling fonts, or many different themes, that would be awesome. That editor I used is actually really cool, I just feel cheated that they waited until the export to tell me I had to pay. I'd like to get my music onto YouTube, where I'm more likely to add listeners rather than just using SoundCloud.

Thanks a lot!

What are you using now? I haven't tried any of these, but following are a couple that I'm aware of:

Video Editing Software. Download Free Video Movie Editor
Media Composer | First | Avid

And of course there are many others that aren't free, but that have free trials.

The free trial program was Filmora. It was very cool, I just felt conned into paying since they didn't make it obvious that the saving feature was limited or that the trial stamped a watermark on the vid. I might just end up paying for it. I'll check out your suggestions first. Thank you

If Media Composer First is like Pro Tools First, you'll probably have to save your projects in the cloud-- it's free, but the space is limited. I should hope that they'll let you export to a local file when you're all done.

Just thought, if you buy a video to USB interface such the Dazzle, you get a couple of discs of software.

I am STILL looking for something that can record the output of an IP camera!

Dave.

Blackmagic designs have a version of their product for free - and it's a genuine pro product. Free or cheap editors are usually lovely for basic edits, but as you progress you suddenly find they have serious limits, and then you start again.

I've recently adopted DaVinci Resolve, which is the Blackmagic product that Rob mentioned above. Having used Vegas/Sony/Magix Movie Studio Platinum and Adobe Premiere Elements 15 (which each sell for about $100), I'm really in love with Resolve (which sells for $0).

It's not simple, and there's definitely a learning curve. But it's solid and stable, makes great use of GPU acceleration for both display AND rendering into H.264, and wraps all of the tools you need into one workflow in a single application. Magix and PE, on the other hand, were unstable, made no use of GPU for rendering (despite Magix advertising that it can...but it can't), and were constant irritations to me for a host of reasons. Resolve has been a breath of fresh air for me as a total amateur video editor.

Hello, I’m very new to video editing and pretty new to this forum (I lurk but have rarely posted). I did some googling and eventually settled on Lightworks as my editor. It’s totally free and, whilst tricky to get the hang of, incredibly powerful. Surprised not to see it mentioned here so felt compelled to post lol.

Steve

It depends on how "fully functional" you mean. In addition to the ones mentioned in the thread, if you get XSplit Broadcaster (20 USD for 3 months), it comes with a bare-bones video editor that you can use.

In addition, I just stumbled upon an Android App called "Legend" that you build Texts in and it will store them as video. That is free, if you have an Android Phone of course. There are uses for that kinda thing, and Free is a pretty good deal.

Have you tried looking in "Sourceforge"? They have many Open Source things that are built by the community -- all free, too.

Edit: Here is a link to many... Video Editor free download - SourceForge (note: it is just a copy of a link after I searched for "Video Editor" at Sourceforge.net. The text of the link reads like you are going to be downloading something, but you aren't. There are 40 results of "some sort".)

Last edited:
Back