Your thoughts on this hip hop track...

russtafari

Hey I'm curious to find out what you guys think of this new track by the rap group that I'm in and produce "The Burning Legion"?. The track is called "Creepin'", it's a song about crusin' late night. I'm wondering what you think about the mix, the beat, the lyrical content, the delivery, the whole song in general. Leave me a link and I'll give your music a listen also. Thanks in advance!

My 2 Cents

Vox style is street solid.

Do yoselves a fava and get Propellerhead's Reason... Spend a few days recording a ton of random samples and chopping them up.

I'd like to hear more samples and vocal FX, 'specially in the chorus.

For stuff like this, production makes the $Change$ so get that clipping outta there and throw some more samples in and take it from street tight to PIMP TIGHT...

Sounds like you're using that Playstation Beatmaker thingie. Hard to get that into the computer without overdriving it...

Boy you really sound like you know what your talking about... I use reason 3.0 to make my beats and there is no clipping, what are you talking about? Maybe you should listen closer.

I have the same problem

I have the same problem...

I ask for advice and then sometimes get defensive when people give their opinion.

I think it's cuz I grew up without any support from my family for my music and art.

I try to keep in mind that opinions are just opinions, and are sometimes provide third party perspectives on aspects of my art that I could not see on my own. The reviewer's self-perspective is valid to the reviewer at the time, just as your artistic perspective is valid at the time of composition of the creation.

I try to stave off this defensivity, cuz if I don't it needlesly gets under my skin when I end up reading a published review of my works from a point of view of disagreement. The stress detracts from the enjoyment in creativity, yet there is this unbreakable bond between art and fear that we must come to awareness of to truly achieve the self awareness and balance to put forth our spirituality through art for public review.

The limelight is a dual edged sword, equal amounts of heaven and hell; praise and criticism.

All this for me, and I never even said I didn't like the piece.

"You wanna be a rap superstar/// Live large/// big house, 5 cars?"

Last edited:
It just really offended me, the things you said. I'm not a newcomer I've been producing and rapping for over 8 years now and I take my music very seriously. I do appreciate comments that are constructive. What you said was not constructive at all. Basically you were trying to belittle me saying that I needed to use reason and not some playstation bullshit. WTF dude, you know damn well nobody uses a fucking playstation game to produce even semi halfway decent tracks.

Telling me my track was clipping is just rediculous.. You really should "listen" to someone's music before you jump to idiotic conclusions.

But that's just my "opinion" so I don't guess it matters if I talk to you like your a dumb fuck.

Telling me my track was clipping is just rediculous.. You really should "listen" to someone's music before you jump to idiotic conclusions.

But that's just my "opinion" so I don't guess it matters if I talk to you like your a dumb fuck.[/QUOTE]

Think I`ll pass on this one, you seem to know everything allready.
I dont know much about hip hop, but I know that I dont like foul language and offensive namecalling.

He just made an hounest review, take the playstation remark for what it is, lighten up man :mad:

"theresnoonetighterthanus" at the end of the "chorus" hell i dont know what you call it in the hip hop game?..you call that the hook ...you know what part im talking about tho right?...that part sounds out of place to me ..i think it would be just as good WITHOUT that last line in the phrase...

oh i don't hear any clipping(on comp speakers anyway).

Yeah I agree on that last part of the hook. I told him if he wanted to do it he needed to do it with the same flow as I did. He just couldn't understand. I will probably take it out, because to me it also doesn't sound "right".

I'm not hearing this clipping either. The bass is killing me though. Low shelf cut the bass drum. I know it's an important part of the song, but if someone wants more bass, then they just turn up the sub. I like the rest of the song though. The synth line in the background serves the song well. Props to ya for makin a good song! There aren't too many hip hop/rap tracks here that I like, but this one stood out a bit more than the rest.

Good Luck Getting Signed!

Major Label: "Yeah we dig the tunes, but we think your beats are too sparse."

You: "Fuck you! Fuck off you fuckers! Fuck! Motherfuck!"

Major Label: "NEXT!"

technically, its a good track. the levels are good, the sounds are clear, and the vocals are legibile.

artistically, well, in hip-hop nowadays, the music is so good and so simplified that it is hard to rise above mediocrity.

to northsiderap

What's your point man? Maybe you think it's a awesome to get butt fucked by a major label, but I don't. I started my own record label so that I could retain creative control over my music, not so that I could be somebody's bitch.

As far as the beats go, I have my own style and it's taken years to perfect it. If you don't like this instrumental then chances are that you wont like any of the others either.

If you want to help someone out by giving them advice then try to do it in a way that doesn't make you sound like a dick head. Chances are they wont get pissed off.

Sug Knight

Damn -

I'd love to lock you in a room with Sug Knight. As for major label goes:

Sure, you hear bad stories about people getting screwed. Those are the people who can't handle their own business.

If you got the product ready, which it looks like you're getting ready to do, then a 'fuck off' attitude might not be the best one for dealing with people who can get you multi-millions in distribution and advertising with a single stroke of a pen.

You never know when and where you'll meet up with one of them - - and you'll have your demo in hand.

Who doesn't want that $40 million dollar check in their pocket and the license to kick back in their own top dollar studio to concentrate on relaxing.

I'll give someone a % for that.

You obviously don't know too much about the music industry. No distributor is going to affiliate with a indie label that doesn't have at least 20+ catalog. And as far as that $40 million advance, they can keep that shit. All that does is fuck peoples heads up anyway, it's pretty easy to get brainwashed into thinking that getting fucked by a label is good when they dangle 40 million in your face. I guess you never thought of that did you? Money isn't everything, the music is what is important, not where you record or how much money you have.

come on guys, it's the christmas season :(

well. take what you need from the advice and what you dont need, dispose.

well, i personally like how the vocals are mixed.

not my style, but I need to study these mixes in case someone wants to lay down some vocals on their beats in my studio. or they want their tracks mixed.

Back