What do you think of this song?

Rookie

Hey,

I wanted to see what you guys thought of this song (and what kind of genre you think it belongs in). It's called West of Everything. Here is the link:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1404/singles

I recorded it on a Tascam 788.

Thanks! (By the way, I've learned a ton of stuff by lurking here. Please let me know if you think I've put that knowledge to good use.)

I tried to listen but it couldnt' find the file?? Also .. it's not available for download??

Hmmmm.... I really like the song. And I think the hook "west of everything" is cool. I like the style and the feel of it. It's the style of music that I would consider buying a CD of.

Now the critizim..... (ALL JUST MY LOUSY OPINION) the guitar really went "south of everything" during the solo. Especially at 2:00.

This one must bore your drummer to death. :rolleyes: I mean.... this song needs some high energy drums.

Maybe an intonation issue or two on the vocals??? Honestly.... it doesn't bother me... but some of these guys who can really sing (I can't) will preceive it differently.... at least I think.

But really.... I do like the song a lot.

Man...that is a cool song. I listen to a lot of Wilco, and while this is nothing like them, lol..it still reminds me of what I like about that band.

I thought your vocal kicked ass.

As for the mix, it sounds like you probably had a decent recording that might have been maximized and/or EQ'd too much. It's hitting my monitors as really abrasive...too many mids, ... like when you Hard Limit something so hard that the frequencies basically all are the same volume, but human ears naturally hear the mids more easily, so it sounds harsh. Man, the more I listen, the more I think it might just be the guitars...

Hey, if anybody else agrees with my opinion on the mid range thing, try this: Use a parametric EQ with a center at 1950Hz, a Q=.45 (really wide), and just drop it about 2.5-3db.

I really REALLY like the song, or I wouldn't make such an ass out of myself by offering wrong way advice, lol.

And I just read on your NWR page that this is already on an album, so thanks for wasting my fucking time...

Still a cool song, though, I'll give you that..but I guess you won't be needing any of my EQ tips.

chrisharris said:
And I just read on your NWR page that this is already on an album, so thanks for wasting my fucking time...

Still a cool song, though, I'll give you that..but I guess you won't be needing any of my EQ tips.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....:D

Hey Chris,

Sorry man, I should have included the fact that the song is on an album in my post. I recorded it at home and we manufacture our own CDs. We did send it off to have it mastered though.

I posted a work in progress up here before (of a different song) as we were recording the album, and I just wanted to see what you guys thought of something that was actually finished.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen. I still feel like I'm learning this recording thing, so you definitely weren't wasting your time. I'll keep a closer eye on the mids when I record stuff in the future. Thanks for the advice and for the compliments on the song.

Rookie said:
Hey Chris,

Quit being such a lame jackass - who died and made you king of "BBS Etiquette society. I'm just trying to learn, and feedback is good, so go screw yourself.
I couldn't agree more with that quote.

It's a very cool song.

Back