what did you do today?

dtb

I had a vision. so I was cutting the greens this morning about 7:30am and took a little sitdown break around 9:00am on the back nine where there's not a soul in sight. having a toke and a smoke, and I look down and there's this little dandelion peeking up at me. we just had a killer frost on Friday, but since then it's been absolutely beautiful. so I wrote this tune while finishing up and came home and recorded it.

this is just a first take of what I hope might turn into a good tune.

"dandelion"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/dtb/singles

Dan

edit-the file was screwed, and I'm sorry for that. the new one is up.

Last edited:
hate it when that happens. anyway, the new file is good. loading at NWR now.

Dang Dan,
very nice. I think it's going to be a great song!! I really like the way you sing it, and the lyrics are beautiful! Can I add a simple drum track to it?
Jason

Hey dtb, really nice! Very reminiscent of Neil Young, Cat Stevens,...

or of the oldest Simon-Garfunkel from the early 60's. All you need is to find a -funkel, to do the high harmonies!

I love it, how you can just bang out a song on a whim! I've always been very impressed with that. A toke and a long ride communing with nature [riding mower] can help you see inspiration in the most interesting places. Dandelion!;)

- Reminds me of a Rolling Stones' cover of the same name,... of which I've contemplated doing myself!

Great song. Nice. WTG. Thanx again!

/DA;)

great sounding acoustic.......you've really got 'your' sound down, which is great...........can't go wrong with a song like this......

a little bassy in just a couple parts.... at :49 maybe a small bass cut or a touch of compression.....

good song

Damn man....that's sweet....

nice tune Dan.....

vox could come down just a bit at the chorus....
the verb on the guits is awesome...I can hear everything man...
Damn man!....you play so frickin' good.... :D

violin and bass man...violin and bass....maybe just a tweak of flute....
oh yeah.......................
I can just hear it now.......... :D

GW/5

Joe

This is a sweet song. Very nice performance. You create some great imagery here.

The chorus has got Cat Stevens all over it. I hear a nice accompanying cello part in the chorus.

There's lots of rooms for little violin fills, like the dandilion spires blowing in the N'orther.

I love it when the muse grabs me and makes me an instrument, you had a damn good day.

Thanks for sharing and entertaining.

Vox could be a bit higher in the verses. I would suggest selecting one of your vocals in the chorus as a lead, and using the other vocal as it's backup. You can cut some of the verb of the vox in the chorus, you are singing very strongly there, and the doubling track will give it a lot of room already.

dtb

I would love to hear this tune re-done in a million dollar studio to give it the full fidelity it deserves!

The song is sweat as it sits, compositionally. The vocals as well are beautifully sung and again suspecting that you and Cat stevens are one and the same person and you are just playing with us here!:cool:

Recording wise; I am hearing a lot of over use of the compressor on the guitars and to a smaller degree on the vocals.

There seems to be some missing clarity as well and this might be attributed to the microphones that are being employed or the recording medium itself. It sounds kinna Portastudio like in that sense and that's why my original thought of re-doing this in a professional studio are ones I'd repeat again.

Wonderful stuff!

Thank you so much for sharing this!:)

Very sweet tune dan, and an interesting guitar sound. How many guitar parts did you record there? Hey, where's the mandolin solo?

Twist

uh, well, shit,

I uh, and then, uh,

yea, uh, sure,

maybe, yea, I, uh,

fucked up!

Dan

I'm sorry fellows, but I'm really cloudy right now. so I'll be responding tommorrowkeridjssnzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

ok?

tanks.

Very nice! My only gripe is I'd like to ditch the double-tracked vox during the chorus part and add a harmony vocal instead. That would round this out nicely.

Also, I feel like it's a little too compressed for an acoustic tune. I'd like a little more breathing room.

Great tune, great singing. Nice one, dtb. Go raid the fridge.:D

Chris

Jason, add on my friend. thanks for the listen.

Dave, you there Dave? Davemania is alive and well. Thanks man. Good to hear from you. I think I can bang'em out cause they are so very simple with my limited knowledge of music. G, C, D, and sometimes A. LOL Thanks for listening.

pf, hey fellow. them dreadnoughts get boomy, especially the way I beat on it. thanks.

Joe the joro from coccomo, hey man, I could play a meat whistle, ain't got no flute.LOL got lots of plans for this one.

viols, slam some of then dar cellos and shit on this scratch track, and see what you get. post it too. thanks for the comments.

Ghost with the most, thanks man. how's it going with you. could be cause it's recorded on a portastudio. he he he he, and been working with compression, testing it out. I know what you mean about being OVER. thanks for the comments.

twist and shout, 2 guitars only, for this first take. I'm still working out the other parts. glad you like, and thanks for listening.

dtb, you drink to much, and you got to get a grip. us folks here on the bbs don't care about hearing yo sorry ass stumble around after dark. thanks for listening. he he he he he he

groucho, well, I couldn't find the damn fridge. so I drank another beer, and went to bed like a good little drunk. LOL thanks for the comments. over compressed, yes. that's what you guys are for. to tell me these things.

thanks all for taking the time to listen. and sorry for the drunkeness that showed up last night.

Dan

cool song. I'd agree with anybody who said you may have overdone it on the compressor...kinda' breathing...I notice it mostly on the acoustics....

I know, talk about the pot calling the kettle squished, lol.

My pleasure. You know, I read the thread after I posted, and I do hear the cat stevens thing, but this song tune and performance is hitting me more like Van Morrison, and I'm talking about the GREAT Van Morrison...not that Brown Eyed Girl crap you gotta' play in cover bands, lmao.

Hey Dan,
Nice tune man. ....loved this. All of your stuff always has this real organic feel to it. Greenskeeper eh? I had the pleasure of doing a little bit of that as a summer job in high school. Really cool job, I got to know some pretty fantastic dudes that were lifers in the trade. ...very conducive to smoking an early morning fatty too:D ....might be why I drove a cushman through a fence and almost got fired:D :D

....The tune painted the picture you described well.

....I agree about the compression. Very nice sketch here though, you MUST finish it!

LOL chris.

g., thanks. after 25 years working for a high powered, fast paced national retail co. in every job they had, including management, the laid back enviroment of golf course maintaince is very pleasing. BTW, today might be the last fairway cut of the year. getting ready for short time for 3-4 months. can't hardly wait.

thanks for taking a listen.

Dan

Back