Waits cover- (a capella by request of people who clearly want me to embarrass myself)

Ok. Let me see where I stand. The singing is mediocre but my balls are large.

Damn, I knew I could have been an 80's rock star. Born 10 years too late I guess. :)

Seriously though, thanks a lot you guys for sitting through this shit. I like to share my learning practices here. Someone (who shall remain nameless) asked me to listen to their tune for pitch problems the other day,a nd I came up with a tactic for him to try. I don't know how it worked or if he even tried it, but I decided to do something different for myself to practice my own singing. I find singing with instruments to be getting much easier for me. But without an instrumental reference I truly found where I stood. Thanks for letting me share that with you all!

This comes down in 24 hours. :)

I have nothing to critique, really. StudioViols kinda went over everything to the nines up there. fact is, its impossible to stay in perfect key with no pitch to center things. Ah, but thats not what I want to say.

What I do want to say is that despite your self put down, you, my friend, have an awesome voice. Its a great instrument that you've been blessed with. Whatever you do, I think your voice should be the cornerstone of all you create and write. Hear me now and believe me later--your voice will take you where you want to go.

By the way, I loved the tune and the performance!

heh...sounded good to me. Acapella stuff is a lot of fun to listen to.

Hmmmm...now there's a HR challenge I might be able to get my arms around :D.

That would be really interesting :D

Nice Job man

Very cool...the only place where I heard the pitches really wander was around 2:25 or so......that part right there gets sa little vague but other than that....it was very nice.
Ya' know...this would make a good challenge.....do something acappella

I'd like to think I played a small part in getting this reposted..

totally cool brother! this sounds wwwwwwaayyyyy better than the first.. I may have to try an acapella.. it's inspiring to say the least! can't really say anything besides it was a good post..

Guernica - pop off!:mad:

:D

I'll be reposting the deleted tune later tonight.. for better or worse.. :mad:

:D

Super performance! And 'nads of true stainless, my friend.
the fact that the harmonies are your creation adds to the artistic value of the performane, i.e. you're not regurgitating someone else's interpretation. I liked the harmonies a lot - a.) because I was raised in the Orthodox church listening to hours and hours of 15th-century liturgical music ("all dressed up in Spring's new clothes" was approachng the Rennaissance style of harmony) and b.) they were totally unpredictable - no way would I have come up with those - and all those variances - how cool!!

I'm gonna try this at home - after all there's no disclaimer on the homepage - I have nothing to fear, right?

A++
Milan

nice smooth vocal sound.
the compression is noticable, but gentle....... and i don't mind it at all.........
there are pitch wavers here and there, but that doesn't matter either.........
the performance outweighs any downside on overall pitch issues........

do you use any guide tracks for background pitch, or do you just dive in and feel it out?

what was your signal chain on this? Nice version, nice change of pace!

GONZO-X said:
do you use any guide tracks for background pitch, or do you just dive in and feel it out?

No click tracks or tones..."freehanded" so to speak.

what was your signal chain on this?

C3 to VTB-1, looped with RNC to PC.

Thanks man!

And thanks to everyone else too! Very good of you to sit through something with no rhythm and still have something to say to me!

Big Waits fan. Had to listen. This is the kind of thing that will keep his music around. Very nice interpretation. Sorry I didn't hate it.

-b

I like the interpretation, and loved the harmonies. Never heard the song before -- melody sounds a bit derivative of Scarlet Ribbons.

One reasons I like the harmonized parts best is because you don't hear the thing that bothered me: the breathing on the lead vocal. I understand what you may have been going for, but it was much too loud, sometimes unpleasantly raspy, and coming pretty much every bar disrupted the "line" of the melody.

My suggestion is to take the vocal in longer than one bar phrases -- at least two, four if you have the breath support for it -- and consider a few strategic spots where it would very natural to breath, like the end of a verse, and don't (an early Sinatra trick to keep things moving forward).

Just thought I'd come in behind Zowie and say thanks for the effort. Nice work! Haven't been around here long but have really enjoyed listening in this forum lately. Especially this new trend you have going here. Still like your effort the best. Terrific guitar work, song writing, lyrics, vocals and production on all your tacks!

Back