Trio, first mixing attempt

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
Rather ambitious project, this is: a 6/4 R'n'B track with lots of orchestral (and dark) bits going on. 65 tracks, a pure hell to mix I might say...

The dry drums & the reverbed other tracks clash of course, but perhaps that's just part of the crazy idea. Still not sure... :)

Lemme know what you think, the mix in particular.

Up in 10 minutes:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2618&alid=-1

Interesting, If you were going for an EVIL sound;)
nice job, The mix captured it.
If not , You'e got an evil sound anyway! I cant make out the words but theres a satanic/adams family feel to the whole thing. Not my style but I am curious as to what others think. I sure hope there was nothing subliminal in there:D

Bill

65 TRACKS?!?!?

Holy cow...what are you mxing on? The NASA console?

The lyrics moved me...Well, not so much "moved" as...oh, they're not English...nevermind. :D :D :D

Seriously, mix sounds pretty good EQ and level wise...but I didn't like the drums at all...sounds like a midi thing to me. It's not so much the dryness as the, well...the midi sound, lol.

(3rd listen) Yup, that's my only gripe. Cool harp sounds. Is that real? With 65 tracks, I'm assuming a lot of it has to be midi, right? I don't know anything about midi, but I don't think that harmonica is a "font" or "patch" or whatever they're called. It sounds cool. Like the tone on the lead, too...sounds fatter than a strat; is it a Gibson of some sort?

Wow, I have a lot of questions, lol.

buh bye for now. But answer me really quick b/c I'm impatient, lol.

It's no Back Street Boyz or Nsync...

...and that's good enough for me.

Most excellent.

Sam, check this out....

Man the only thing I don't like about this is the drums. It would be a lot better with just a little bit more real sounding drums.

I even like the foreign language better. I almost don't even want to know what you're saying. The music does well enough.

The vocals are superb. The stereo field is efficiantly occupied and I hear nothing "wrong" with the levels.

I'm probably not being realy critical of the mix because I'm still getting into the music...it's pretty rich. I like it.

I'm gonna hold onto this one. I'll let you know if anything starts to piss me off about it. Thanks.

Heh, Christiaan is the only one who knows how UTTERLY DUMB the lyrics really are...believe you me, you don't wanna know. LOL

Strange as it may sound: it's only 5 miditracks: mellotron strings, mellotron flutes, organ, rhodes & drums. In fact, all of my songs are like that: midi < 5, audio > 50 :D What can I say, I like huuuuge choruses! (there's a Queen & Prince influence, yes)

The guitar is a Hamer, the harmonica is real. Solos are played by my two lyricists (besides very literate, pretty talented on their instruments too)

Drums were already on the list to get replaced by real ones, especially after your responses, but now are 99% definitely on the replacement list.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words guys. I appreciate it! :)

Spiffy - an interesting tune for sure. The drums arent bad - they are pretty soft and kinda mellow. The whole song would chnage if you threw in some huge 80's butt rock drums.

The song reminded me of Teen wolf meets Buffy the vampire slayer.

The vocals are too fuzzy to make out....the....words......oh - nevermind.

-Nilbog

Shite, I knew that... :D

Forgot it for a moment.

Yeah, harmonica must be the hardest intstrument to sample. Never heard a convincing one...

Pedullist said:
Heh, Christiaan is the only one who knows how UTTERLY DUMB the lyrics really are...believe you me, you don't wanna know. LOL
Listening while typing this. I'll get back to you on the lyrics :) Vocally it reminds me of Henny Vrienten quite a lot.

Hehe, 14 years of intense listening to Doe Maar/Hennie Vrienten 'didn't get into my cold clothes' LOL :D

Anyway, it's not the first time someone said that. And I consider it as a compliment. Hennie is my hero! :)

About the lyrics:

Yeah, it's about how I sometimes feel when I'm noodling around with my friends making music: like I'm cheating on my wife. I admit it's a way too cheesy (laten we maar zeggen: melig) lyric for such a dark song, but I can't help it.

Listen to my other songs if you want to hear better lyrics ;)

You know. The lyrics really don't matter much in this song. The instruments almost completely draw the attention away and the vocals just blend in as if it was just another instrument. You could be singing about the neighbour's cat and it wouldn't make any difference. The vocals complement the whole mood that is set very well.

Thanks Christiaan.

For everyone who's interested btw, it's:

Audio:
3 bass parts (the verses are fretted, the choruses and bridge are fretless)
11 guitar parts (including the solo)
4 cister parts (for the mandolin orchestra)
2 leads (high and low)
2 harmonica parts
1 sample of a bell
and the rest is chorus (I hate artificial choruses, so I just built huge choruses with myself doing massive overdubs)

Midi:
1x drums
1x mellotron flutes
1x mellotron strings
1x organ
1x rhodes

Did I mention I'm using Homestudio2002 & an Audigy? :)

Wow...............that's very cool.........I never listen to lyrics anyway so I didn't notice it was in a different language 'till I read the other posts. :D

This goes into my keeper file.

Hey man that sounds pretty cool. Your voice sounds quite good there. No really constructive critisism here except for the drum sound, but then again it might work for this style of music. Nicely done

OK, Chris and SLuiCe...

Here's an attempt to program 'real' sounding drums for Trio (yep, I really listen to you guys). You better like it, because it was an absolute pain in the ass to program. I'm not a drummer, and hardly a keyboardist. So it's just guessing how a drummer would play it and trying to play tom fills on these tiny keys. I'm still not 100% satisfied (I'll probably ditch a few fills/hits and the drums certainly need some compression), but please let me know if I'm on the right track with this...

It's weird, the new drums seems to change to whole feel & atmosphere of the song.

I didn't really mix it yet this time, it's just my headphone mix with some (ok, looooads of) reverb added. O, and I've added some 'dinosaur growl' to the bass. It's a little loud on the verses, but in the chorus it sounds pretty fat!

It starts a little weird, but I happen to like that. So that's a keeper....:)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2618&alid=462

Thanks FProd...but I'm afraid my other music is much poppier, and less dark than this one (btw, you can find more of my music at www.nowhereradio.com/trojka)

What did you think of the drums? Are they OK? (I already hate the open hihat on the one in the first verse. Baaaaad! Will fix that...)

Back