Trio, first mixing attempt

the drums are pretty cool actually. I don't really remember the old ones so I can't compare these to what you had before but they sound fairly 'drummer-loke' And this is still a very cool song. I like the rock-waltz feeling it has.

drums sound great. The open hi-hat is fine - in fact it sounds very good.

You've got that prog rock sound without sounding pretensious that so few can do.

get new drums, and it will rock. i suggest either live drums or just better samples! anything but that midi!! haha.

Ouch, that's the one thing I didn't want to hear. In my opinion, these are one of the best samples (Sonic Implants Blue Jay) I've heard so far. Maybe my playing or mix sucks, but the samples are fine.

I can't afford (or record, I live in an apartment) real drums. I'm a one man band on a budget. Gimme a break, please.... :)

I actually thought your samples sounded fairly decent. But there are some folks here that are extremely picky about their drum sounds so don't take it too hard. You work with what you got and I thought you did a credible job....especially since this is a fairly new thing for you. ;)

Man, I have to say... this song is *really* good, especially for a first attempt at mixing. Oh, by the way, I'm listening to the version with the new drums you put in - I think they sound fine! Don't change 'em!

I think the song has a kind of Mr. Bungle feel (their more laid back songs)... lots of change ups, some synth-sounding instruments (that's not a bad thing in this case), and those vocals.... you've got a really expressive vocal style, and I think that's one of the main highlights of the song.

Kudos!!

-som

A-ha!

After listening to Marco Van Mourt and Remco Mourtis twice listening for any Mellotron, I finally found what I'm supposed to be listening to...

I think the Drums sound excellent! BlueJay, you say? Small? Large? One/Two? One thing about the programming- on the outro, the ride cymbal keeps playing through some tom fills..this would be impossible for human drummer, or very unnatural- unless you drummers have three hands over there in the Netherlands

I also really like the rhodes and the mellotrons....soundfonts as well? Which?

I dl'ed Marco - wrong tune, I guess. I like the Marco tune though. Good singer. The Dutch makes it sound cool. The sound's good, the mix's good. If I was mixing this, I'd be obsessing about the reverb - I always worry there's too much - and with this tune, I'd be doing drier mixes to compare with this one.

Nice tune. I'm also impressed by anyone who can get *girls* onto their project. What'd you do? Promise them sexual favors in return for good singing?

The singing girl is my wife... :D

It took me a couple of hours to convince her this was a cool thing to do. And sexual favors, of course. LOL

The Marco van Moort and Remco Mourits songs are tributes to my friends and lyricists. I sing about how wonderful they are. Makes a great birthday present. Try it out sometime too! Give your friend a song!

Chrisjob, thanks for the tip on the fills. That was the type of information I was looking for. It's the Blue Jay Large Ambient kit II btw (last week I bought Small Ambient I, and yesterday I discovered I have bought the whole Sonic Implants drum catalogue! :D What can I say? Finally a good drumsoundfont...now learn how to drum as a drummer. I should buy myself some pads....)

To all: thanks for your kind words! (still waiting for Chris and Sluice to respond, I've replaced the drums for them!)

Last edited:
I like it. The presence of the guitar is a bit much though. Don't know how else to put it but it seems very static or cheap "ampish". Of course this is just nit picking. Great song.

Hahaha, it's NO ampish! (speakersimulator)

It was recorded on my badly wired Washburn (hence the amount of highs/presence), I've replaced that particular guitar for a Hamer but I refused to rerecord all the tracks. :D

Pedullist,

I have seen you in the cakewalk forum for quite awhile now, it's cool to see what you've actually got behind all that tech talk:D

This is definitely cool and good!! you got yourself a folder in my computer:)

AL

Thanks, but do I really talk 'tech' that much? I always end up saying things like 'I likey' & 'excellent performance' (I like a lot, and I'm not good at nitpicking...don't care where you pan your guitar LOL :) )

....fuck......
.....man, this kicks ass at a thousand different levels. First off, GREAT bass. Very sweet and clear chordings. ...and the loose bluesy groove is just plain excellent.

There is so much candy to listen to in this.... ...Im not even gonna try and comment in one response.

This is going to get a lot of listens from me......

Excellent work Ped!!!

G w/ a BIG 5

Pedullist said:
Thanks, but do I really talk 'tech' that much? I always end up saying things like 'I likey' & 'excellent performance' (I like a lot, and I'm not good at nitpicking...don't care where you pan your guitar LOL :) )

Pedullist,

I meant nothing but the possitive aspect about you being technical. Technical as in how to use Sonar and helping out morons like me in the cakewalk forum :)

You and James have been very helpful over the cakewalk forum, and we've just recently got to hear your stuff. It's very cool.
I hope I have made myself a little clearer this time......"tech talk" wasn't a sarcasim.

AL

Don't worry about it, A1A2! I was just playing with ya a little!

Glad you like! (btw, I'm using Homestudio2002. The ultimate package for amateurs LOL :D )

Guernica, thanks. That's a confidence boost for sure (still wasn't sure about the drums)...the dinosaur growl on the bass does really work, doesn't it? pssssst: Ohmforce Predatohm! Thanks for noticing it!

Next song I'll upload will be disco! (and I'm not kiddin')

Chrisjob said:

One thing about the programming- on the outro, the ride cymbal keeps playing through some tom fills..this would be impossible for human drummer, or very unnatural- unless you drummers have three hands over there in the Netherlands

Not trying to pick a fight with you Chrisjob, but as a real drummer with 2 arms (and 3 legs:cool:), I often fill with my left hand while maintaining ride or hats with the right. I'm even finally getting used to one-handed triplets across the toms so I can crash or keep riding on the first note now. It adds a lot of continuity to the fills (if that's the effect you want). Sure there's lots of stuff where I use both hands to fill, but I think the licks on this piece sound natural and not impossible. :p

Now if I can just encorporate my 3rd leg somehow... :confused:

<(c;

Mammoth sound, really cool flow, and trippy sounds. Rock on Pedullist!
:D

Thanks, Colaradojay. Very helpful. It's good to hear it from a drummer. I need all the help I can get on the drumfills, so if there's anything, ANYTHING, that's rotten about the drum part (even small things, like the velocity in a higher tom), please PM me. I want it to sound as humanly possible. The song needs it...

Don't spare my feelings, you can be as hard on me as you want on the drums (but don't say things like 'get a real drumkit', because I simply can't :) )

Pedullist said:
What style of music is it anyway? ;)

"PEDICOOL" :cool:

Sweet job, man. This is art and I'm lovin it. Creative, bold, whimsical, unique, expressive and true to self.

( hey, maybe I can get my wife to sing on my next one,... sounds like a good trade-barter deal going on over there! )

Peace,
flat-9

Back