thought I'd have a go ....

DeeExpus

and for my NEXT mix ... !
Hi all.

Just spent a pleasurable half hour listening to some of the stuff posted here and thought I'd post a link to my site for a little feed back.

Unfortunately, most of the stuff up there are only segments of the song except for "Red" which is the full track.

Anyway, it would be nice to get some comment.

Cheers

Dee

you need to go to the music section of the site (er.... obviously!! hehe)

Duh .... http://www.deeexpus.com/audio.htm

Damn! Just listened to "one of my dreams" & man, I don't think you have much to learn from anyone here (or elsewhere) about recording... you obviously know what you're doing. What else is there to say? Very professional-sounding.

Chris

Thanks for the reply's Guys.

Appreciate the comment Groucho, though I wish I could agree :) The song you're commenting on is actually in the middle of being totally redone, as I made an almighty cockup in the drum program hence the whole song tugs and pulls in every direction.

... and cheers Kramer!!

I listened to One of my Dreams also. Great tune, great recording. Sounds like yer well ahead of the game already. These all recorded at home? Damn, like to see a list of your equipment and watch you use it! Charva (Dave)

www.geocities.com/charvster

Dude...................

Fess up................

You are a Pro......aren't you......???

One of these Dreams is a great tune and recorded well......

great harmony vox and the pads are perfect....
Drums??
Drums??
I didn't hear anything wrong with the drums.....

But...what's with all of the snap, crackle and pop??
is that intentional?
sounds like a vinyl record playing....ya know?

Take it easy,
Joe

WOW!!

I have to say, I wasnt expecting this sort of feedback, especially for this song!

Charva - All of my stuff was (and is) recorded in my attic at home. I'm using purely hard disk recording via Logic Audio Gold, and up until very recently all effects - compression, reverb etc are internal. I was using an Audiowerk 2 soundcard out to my desk (2 outs - mixed internally, so complete waste of the mixing desk potential!!) to a Marantz PM4200 Hi Fi amp powering 2 KEF SP3320 Hi Fi speakers. So, as you can see nothing startling there really.
As for the Input side of things ... Everything, bar the guitars and vocals, are programmed again using Logic, the samples comming from emagics ES1 and ES24. The vocals were recorded through a Sennheiser E845S Mic, through the desk EQ (Soundtracs Solo 32/4/2) into Logic, and compressed there in!
My Drums!! - of all my recording achievements, I am probably most pleased with my Drum tracks. I spend a huge amount of time programming and EQing Drums, as I have no facility to record live drums, but want as realistic drum sound as possible and have to admit, that I'm quite pleased with the results so far.
As for you watching me use it, let me know when ur in the country (UK) and you can come over for a beer anytime ;) oh and buy that Mini, they're F'kin amazing!!!

Joe (Joro - "I didn't hear anything wrong with the drums..... ") Thanks for that, its made my day that you picked on them!! As for the "snap crackle and pop" - yeah its intentional. The song is about my life, and I thought it would be a good way to start as you only had vynil, when I kicked off on this planet. The intro piano has been EQ'd to give that mono, wax cylinder, His Masters Voice type thing too ..... ((oo oo, chee boo) reminded my self of the Goodies for a second there ... hmmm none of you will get that!!!:)

I'm currently upgrading my soundcards to 2x Staudio 2000 Cports, to give me 16 outs to the desk, so that I can finally mix down externally. er... woohoo.

Thanks again for the comments guys. I would love some Feedback on "RED" if any of you have the time, even if only on the Drum track. I'm aware the vocals are shite BTW!!!!

Cheers
Dee

One Of My Dreams-WOW!! Fan-tas-tic...absolutely great song-loved it! Great groove-great vocal layering-nice key sounds-If I had to nit-pick-the cymbals seem a little on the high endy side-there were a few times when the vocals didn't seem to be riding on top like they should-and the key solo could have come up a tad-but those could be defined as personal preferences and in no way hindered my enjoyment of this great song....

Reds-again--top notch-though a definete personal pref here--the whole 911 thing...native new yorker here...I don't really want to be reminded of the whole thing...too many bad memories.....you mentioned it in the other song as well but it was just part of a verse so anyway.....you are doing an amazing job with the tools you listed-hope you get the attention you deserve.

shit Stratomaster - I'm sorry.

I had just started writing RED when it happened. The song evolved around those events whilst I like most, was absorbed and sickened by the whole thing. If you are interested, the following link will give somewhat of an explanation to my reasoning behind the song www.deeexpus.com/red.htm

Thanks again for taking the time to listen, and your kind comments.

Dee

shooot-nothing to be sorry about Dee-Fortunately I didnt lose any family or friends-I guess what I was trying to say is that I found the subject to be a downer---hell, going from "dreams" to "reds" just took me on the emotional roller coaster I guess. Shows that your doing your job well-I usually don't get so worked up by a song!

On the Piste

heh
Thanks again Strato - appreciate it.

Er... I'm off to Edinburgh for 3 or 4 days, for a Beer or two and to Sample some local open Mic sessions in the odd Pub or two. Apologies in advance if I dont reply to any post, I will do upon my return.

Cheers
Dee

you'll have a go?

... is your wife... a GOER? Nudge nudge wink wink say no more :D

Red

Ah, a smiley, smiley song... no, not being sarcastic... it's the EQ... You've got hyped lows, hyped highs and a dip in the middle...

Fairly nice recording otherwise... listen to that 'verb on the drums... your vox remind me of "White Tiger"... (was the name of that band "white tiger"? The dude who sings "So-o-ome day... you'll be..."??)

Some "Tears For Fears" in there...

IMO the mix has some harshness issues... mostly caused by what sounds like shelved highs on the cymbals...

Very nice musicianship... Nine thumbs up...

Chad

hehe thanks.

Yeah, I know about some of the mix issues with Red, and am presently re - recording and remixing it. Redone all of the vocals and guitars, and am in the middle of installing some new gear, so I can mix externally (ie desk). Looking forward to getting some views on the finished product, as its a llooooong learning curve!

Fraid I dont know the band you mean (White Tiger) and am not a big fan of Tears for Fears, but thanks for the constructives with the Mix.

Cheers
Dee

Well...........good vinyl doesn't crackle and pop but I'll let that slide for now. :)
One of My Dreams is great and Red also is very nice. Definitely professional stuff. No point in commenting 'cause it would all be a matter of taste. Nice stuff indeed!

Love this! Like the " innocent" sound of many 80's bands, not an evil thought in their head....ABC, Aha, etc... this is great! Hearkens back to a much simpler time when we all had nuclear weapons hanging over our heads.

Thanks guys
Pipeline audio - love this post, very funny! I'm glad I've taken you back to the days of hiding under the kitchen table with a blanket over the top. hehe - unintentional though ...... honset!! :D
Lt. Bob - Ur totally right about the vinyl issue, which is why its pressed onto the afor mentioned kitchen table. Optimum crackles, pops and the odd potato chip here and there!! ;) Thanks for the kind comment.
Track Rat - Promise is one of my favs as far as my own stuff goes. Yeah the acoustic is real, but was recorded DI'd straight into the desk. I'm now micing up and I'm getting a much better sound, you can here the pik strike the strings, and get a much more percussive feel ... which is nice :) Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers
Dee

Back