Tempo Change (Work in progress)

PhilLondon

Hello!

I've had an intro for a song, and the main part for a long time and I've decided to record it. When tracking it I've realised that the intro however sounds too slow at the main songs tempo, and the main song too fast at the intros tempo. The intro is 140bpm, the main part is 120bpm.

So what I've done is I've recorded the intro and then changed the tempo when the intro finishes with a break. It is obvious and I'm not sure if it works. The idea is to use the heavy part of the intro (which could be sped up) in the bridge of the song later on, so it all kinda resolves.

This is a rough mix, no EQing or compression has been done as yet.

A few questions, does it work? Could I make it work? How do the guitars sound and, how does the mix sound off the bat? Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/fables-demo

I like the guitar tones.
The cymbals are very washy and distant. When they cut out for a moment at 1:30, the whole mix seems to come up closer. Are you using OHs or are you sending them to an additional reverb?
I don't like the snare at all. It hasn't got much body. I feel like a song like this could use a snare with more reverb.

Yea I'm just trying to get it all levelled at the moment, it's quite possible that it does come up closer. The guitars that are prominent in the intro have a lot of reverb, and the ones that are used in the main bit are quite dry. Could it be that?

It's actually the drummer program in Logic Pro X, I don't have the luxury of a real drummer.

I know that it all needs work, my main concern is whether the intro and main song tempo change works as I can look at everything a bit later.

Thanks for liking my tones!

Last edited:
That's one of the better drum programs out there. Does all the velocity and stuff for you, doesn't it?

The guitars had pleasant distortion to my ears.

What do you mean by velocity?

At 1.30 the tempo changes from 140bpm to 120bpm. What I'm asking is whether this change works and is pulled off, or if it seems completely unnatural.

Thanks.

Listening to where the change occurs it's a little unnatural - because it's joined by the little drum part, then goes into a completely unrelated musical phrase - different sound and different chords, and the gated chord sound makes it sound like a different song entirely.. The louder part before is distinctly Coldplay-ish in sound (they do that a lot - start mellow with a guitar or two, then kick it in).
I don't think there's anything wrong with having distinctly different parts in a song, but something needs to tie them together (and usually a return to the original sound) or it sounds Frankenstein-ish.

Last edited:
I agree with MJ, the tempo change didn't work for me. Maybe keep the tempo the same, try some different intro beats to slow you down upfront and then let it kick in. (Just suggestions, not answers)

You can get it to work. As said above, the transitions are key to it. Tempo changes have been around since music was born. I think its a good platform for a song. Like the heavier guitar tones too.

I think I might have a way to link them, but I'm not sure if the tempo change will work, I'll give it a go. I might change it when it goes heavy, so that I can transition easier into the main song. Or maybe I should just meet in the middle at 130bpm?

There are lots of bands that have build ups like that, I guess I'm heavily influenced by the Pumpkins for this song. Mainly Porcelina.

What does 'gated guitars' mean? If you mean, noise gate, there's none used here.

Thanks for the kind words about the tone. I'm using my Kemper with Bassman profiles doubled tracked with my Tele, using mini humbuckers.

Last edited:
I

What does 'gated guitars' mean? If you mean, noise gate, there's none used here.
Ok, maybe you are palm muting - a noise gate would cut the sound off when it falls below a certain level, that's what it sounds like after the drum solo transition.

It seemed to flow, but to your point, now the intro doesn't work. Could you not just use different notes and by keeping the same BPM, just slow down for that part, then let the drums speed you up for the transition. Or slow part, then hold (guitar note and some light cymbal sustain), drums then do a fill then start?

Just suggestions.

I don't have a problem with it now, I think that it's fine at that speed. I've gotten used to it after listening to it all day.

What doesn't work for you, considering that it flows.

I don't have a problem with it now, I think that it's fine at that speed. I've gotten used to it after listening to it all day.

What doesn't work for you, considering that it flows.

I thought you were going for a relaxed intro that kicks when ready.

Not necessarily. I just wanted to get them to work together at the tempo that i thought they worked best at individually. I'm happy how it's sounding.

Here's a mix that's been eqed and compressed a bit. If you get a minute have a listen and let me know how it sounds. Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help. Any tips would be great!

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/fables-newer

I've got two weeks to write a bridge and lyrics for my singer who'll be back from holiday. :)

Back