Sunday Morning...

Okay, since this is back up again...

I owe some replies...ya'll know I read these threads religiously, lol... I just feel weird b/c it's just a cover tune and I hadn't planned on doing anything with it, but it seems to involve every mix issue that I've been fighting lately, so I'm kinda' using this as a total quest for knowledge.

Ledmech - thanks for the repost...yeah, there are some definite drum issues in here, lol. Part of it I blame on the fact that I didn't intend to screw with this tune long enough to even do drums, so the underlying instrument tracks are...ummm... "loose," to put it mildly. You nailed one of the several spots where when I put the snare where it SHOULD be, in time, it actually sounds even weirder, lol...b/c the music bed is screwed up timewise. so the drum hits just come too close together to sound "right," lol.

Jag - I've never had my ass almost kicked for NOT singing before... lmao. I am, however, frequently assaulted for singing in public, so in a way, I understand the story, lol. Thanks for taking the time... That was a cool story.

FattMusiek - Thanks for the encouragement... yeah, it's a cover - I have no idea now why I am wasting peoples' time with this, but I appreciate it.

StudioV - You're right. However, as long as we're talking about epiphonies, I think I've figured out that most of the sonic pitfalls on this actually lie in the 100-300Hz area. I'm taking mixes that have huge low end, but that I can crank in my car without falling apart (none of the mixes are mine, of course), and I'm studying just the low low mids...the "secret" lies in the compression of that warm stuff, lol. i just have to figure out how much of the 100-300Hz stuff it takes (after X amount of time at Y amplitude) before the earthquaking starts, and then limit it...it's all voodoo to me at this point, but I KNOW there's something not incredibly difficult to do that will allow a mix to stay warm without knocking out fillings and windows and stuff. If I ever figure anything out, you'll be the first to know.

erichenryus, bdbdbuck, sloop, bdbdbuck, skids, Guernica, Kjam - I hate to lump people together, but this thread has taken up enough bandwidth as it is. I totally appreciate the comments, and if I ever get the low end on a mix to work by anything other than pure accident, I'll be the happiest amateur hack on the planet. :D :D

So, now that that's out of the way, how's everybody doing? Jobs/school/prison life going well? How are the kids/parents/cat/dog/siblings/significant other of the same sex doing?

Anybody ever ended up with a mix that they're pretty much totally satisfied with? I have exactly one. ONE mix that sounds the same everywhere, that has a well defined low end, warmth, NON-harsh mids and highs, good balance, etc. One mix...Three years of this, God only knows how many recordings, and ONE MIX that totally works, lol. The kicker is, I have no freaking idea what I did differently on that one mix...so it was dumb luck...I can't wait until dumb luck strikes again.

I'm really, really late on this one ... but wanted to reply because you have a great performance here. I won't comment on mix stuff since you probably have got tons of that stuff already (I haven't read all of this thread) :)

Seriously, though, it sounds like Willie Nelson is singing backup on this.

Very nice tribute to a Jonny Cash!

:D

Sorry it took so long to get to this - seems I can only listen on weekends anymore.

From reading comments apparently the first version was posted without drums? That explains a lot, cos the drum track really seems to wander in and out of time.

Fuzzy guitar worked great when it was so low you couldn't tell for sure what it was. When it came up a little, I didn't like it as much.

That's it - the rest is ALL POSITIVE. You're a mofo, man. I didn't know you had those low notes in ya. Very heartfelt delivery, really fit the tune.

Too bad Bill says we gotta kill all the lawyers...:eek:

Daf

I just listened to the new version with drums and they're not good... I'm actually surprised that you would let them pass like this.. still don't like the sound of the screaching outro solos.. they sound better than the original, but still don't sound right imop.. maybe you should have quit while you were ahead.. I seem to have more to complain about with the new version... and I still think the whole song is too long..

chrisharris said:

Anybody ever ended up with a mix that they're pretty much totally satisfied with? I have exactly one. ONE mix that sounds the same everywhere, that has a well defined low end, warmth, NON-harsh mids and highs, good balance, etc.

this isn't 'the best' mix I've heard from you.. I guess it's all relative..

B.SABBATH said:

this isn't 'the best' mix I've heard from you.. I guess it's all relative..

No, not this one my friend, lmao. This one is still fucked up on many levels :D. I have one mix on one song that works, but this ain't it. The drums aren't the only thing broken...bass is still got major issues, but that's harder to tell about outside of the car.

Hey, I really appreciate the listens (and followup) from you guys. It's pretty easy to lose the ability to hear anything I'm working on, so I'm learning to move on to other stuff. The good news is that somebody is taking a shot at a real drum track, so I'm just lazily waiting for that while my ears recover. And I got sidetracked working on a mix for the lady in this picture :D :D

HEY, CHECK OUT THIS STAGE SHOT I GOT YESTERDAY!!!

Okay, headed back out the door to Austin. Wanted to give a sincere thanks for this one. It'll be passable some day, lol...just not today maybe.

Attachments

• stage shot.jpg
    stage shot.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 33
hey....i dont have time to listen but im sure its awful.....just wanted to stop bye and say i was home for the weekend....and being gone with no computer access SUCKS ....

is it "HICKSTOCK" time again already?!?!?!......sweet.

later mediater..

Jamal:D

p.s. heres 5 stars ...well just because ...i cant listen.....

I miss Johnny too...

I used to live on Old Hickory Lake in Nashville, TN about a 1/2 mile from the Man in Black. My dad would take us by his big, black, glass house, and we'd strain to get a look at him. I was heartbroken when I heard about June Carter and damn near cried when the old man went down himself. Now I live in Texas at Ft. Hood in Killeen, and I can't get enough of the Austin Music scene.

That tune you've got sounds real nice for a quickie after a late show... was it Austin City Limits Music Festival?

I don't really have much expertise in recording, so I won't bore you with my silly outlook, but I do dig that recording. Good crisp, country voice and it all sounds wonderful to me. I love to hear country tunes mixed in with a little distortion and a little bar-band feel. In fact, I'm going to check out Lucero in Austin tomorrow on the 25th, and that's exactly their sound.

Take it easy, and keep up the good work.

BP

Back