Stone In Love Cover - Opinions welcome

JohnWatkins

I had asked for some advice on EQ'ing the vocal on this track, and in that thread I had promised to post the finished song. What do you think? It's all me except the lead vocal and half of the backups. There is no auto-tune or MIDI or VI on this; it's all just multi-tracked audio. Thanks for listening!

Not so sure I could give a eq suggestion at this stage of the mix. The vocals seem on top of a mix that is still not punching in the low mids. Rhythm guitar? I assume that hasn't been recorded yet, or is muted. Strange to hear such great solo guitar with nothing to back it up with at the outro....

I definitely would use a couple levels of compression tho. One with fast attack, and a second with a slow attack. Smooth it out.

Great personality in the delivery.

This kills! Great job. One of my favorite songs from that era--and this treatment really honors it. The great guitar playing absolutely makes it!

Love the song and love the mix. Sent shivers up my spine!!!
Great performance all around.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I've always loved this tune and played it in a band with this same singer 20 years ago (almost 25 now, damn). Safe to say, she's still got it. :)

Jimmy, the outro was left sparse on purpose, but there are two rhythm guitars in there. Also, there are 8 or 9 compressors on the lead vox through the whole chain.

Thanks again for listening!

Back