Steenamaroo cover. Not country!!!

Nope, it's not country this time.
Another bit of bowie for anyone who's listening, unless Bowie's listening, in which case,,,,ahem,,,,never mind.

I'm gona go ahead and call this a first mix. :D

Bare with me. The end is better than the beginning. :)

5 hours wasted, or spent....You decide.

EDIT
MIX TWO.

Much of the same with a few subtle extras.

EDIT2
THIRD MIX

Last edited:
Hey man, nice song; it really gets going after 2:00.
Up until that point, well, it's almost like the beginning could be more sparse
if that is the direction you are going.
It seems like the first couple of minutes are sort of well, tame or
predictable. If there were less instrumentation there it might sound a bit
more intimate and inspired. It would also then really contrast with the beautiful ending
and your audience wouldn'ty have to "bear with you," as they would already be entranced.
Does that make sense?

How can you go wrong with Bowie? Very slick sounding. How did you track it? Did you play the key parts or is it midi?

Telegram Sam, You're right dude. I kinda feel like Bowie's recording has that problem too, but that's no reason for me not to try and better it. :) Cheers

CWkaked, no sweat. Thanks for listening.

How can you go wrong with Bowie? Very slick sounding. How did you track it? Did you play the key parts or is it midi?

Vocals, piano and guitar parts are all real.

The rest is really just drums, bass, 3 string parts and a harp part, which are all midi.

Thanks for your comments guys!

Last edited:
Well there you go Paul - this is very good.

Now get up a whole set and you can take it on the road as a Bowie tribute. ;)

Say steen, that is really nice! The buildup at the end is very cool. I like the vocal doubling too! This is perhaps one where you might think about wetting up the vocal a little, or not :-)

I've knocked off recording my stuff for a while, and doing nothing but covers. I'm in another group where we basically just record and video live versions of covers all week long and post them. It's a lot of fun. It's a great workout for the chops.

Say steen, that is really nice! The buildup at the end is very cool. I like the vocal doubling too! This is perhaps one where you might think about wetting up the vocal a little, or not :-)

I've knocked off recording my stuff for a while, and doing nothing but covers. I'm in another group where we basically just record and video live versions of covers all week long and post them. It's a lot of fun. It's a great workout for the chops.

Doubling is not the right word! HARMONIES sorry/.

I've knocked off recording my stuff for a while, and doing nothing but covers.

That's a shame man, but if you're enjoying it, go nuts. :)

Thanks for the comments. You're not the first to say about adding a bit of verb.
I did want a drier sound, but i think maybe I went too far? Maybe the vox are too loud from the get go too.

Cheers pal.

That's a shame man, but if you're enjoying it, go nuts. :)

Oh - actually it's been great. I realized that the root problem with my 'mixes' is that my playing sucks. I'm actually practicing about 2 hours a day now spread across bass, drums, guitar and piano. Playing and singing at the same time, all the way through, one take. Learning other peoples songs, sometimes *all* the parts has really got me thinking again. I'm going to start on a new batch of my stuff in a few months.

Is that the ribbon mic? I really want to pick one up after hearing your stuff.

Great for you man. It's fantastic experience and practice then. :)

That is the little ribbon mic.
I don't know how much of its sound is attributed to xaudias transformer and my WBS preamps, but yes, it is the ribbon.

Great for you man. It's fantastic experience and practice then. :)

That is the little ribbon mic.
I don't know how much of its sound is attributed to xaudias transformer and my WBS preamps, but yes, it is the ribbon.

my guess is 80% voice 20% mic 10% pre - in corporate lingo - One hundred and ten percent lol

Sounds great to me.
Sweet version the vocal seems a little dry but that was just a first impression.
I really like it mate i cant really find anything wrong with it at all, which is annoying.
One day im going to be as good as you I hope.

Back