'Stay' performance

Carla_Anne

hi folks, I have an album for sale on itunes and one of my songs I've performed on video here. YouTube - Stay I produced it myself. I play keyboard and and have performed/sang live for a number of years.

There is also a vid of me playing My Immortal live on piano.vocals.

I look forward to getting to know some of the great talent on here and networking with other musicians. :)

Nice - the production is great on Stay - love the vocals. Immortal is actually my fav of yours cause it's showcasing some real "live" talent - plus I've loved that tune for years. Cool

I like the melody in Stay. Good performance, too. I'm not sure I like the long delay on the vocal. As for the video, I'd like to see something more than a stationary shot. Producing a video is a lot of work, but it's rewarding when you piece together a story, much like producing a song, but more so...

The MP3 clinic is a place where you can bring a song you are currently working on to get constructive criticism or advice for mixing, arrangement, etc. Videos are posted in here, but I'm pushing to get a separate Music Video forum. You can also market your album or showcase your songs in the Marketing/Publicity forum.

Welcome to the site.

Thank you for the advice/comments chili. I agree about a good music video. I wish :) I don't really have the capacity/time to do it alone, something to think about though. Thanks again x

Nice song, good voice/vocals, but I would like to hear acoustic drums and I think a spanish acoustic guitarist would enhance the whole song loads.

And show us some more cleavage, girl!:eek:

Lol Thanks StevieB, I'll pick up a spanish guitarist on my way home from work :P

Ah yes, the cleavage thing.. perhaps thats the missing element that would result in more publicity lol.. I have thought about calling myself Lady Gogo and singing topless, but alas, YouYube doesn't allow it LOL

I knwo it's a silly question BUT...if you've recorded, produced, mixed & mastered the album are you really looking for critiques of the mix? It's a bit stable door & horse isn't it!
I will give it a listen - & you probably already know the prevailing opinions of audio on YouTube.
Nice vocals - & I likesd the way you used the guitar for accents but sometimes of the backing verges on nondescript.

I liked the song and the arrangement but the autotune got on my nerves, tha vocal seems disconnected from the backing, IMO would sound better with less.

Thanks RayC for your comment. I was told I could put my songs up here for critique, finished or not. There is always room for advice, comment, improvement, alteration which I could take on board for a re-mix or future work. Some here have already made some useful comments on my songs. I wouldn't believe anyone is forced here to listen, comment or otherwise. Thanks anyway, but as for 'non verges nondescript,' I have no idea what that means, but thanks for sharing your opinion. :) Best wishes.

Nice work, it's not easy to handle everthing all by yourself, but you pulled it off.

Could there be improvements? Yes, but you deserve credit for a job well done, and I'm sure the next one will be even better.

Stay with it, and good luck.

This is really very good, it ticks all the right boxes, but it's a bit too clinical.

My view (which is usually wrong) is that even though this is ambient material, I still want that vocal dryer and closer.

Nice work, good production and performance, I agree with Chilli, you could do a real nice video to this song. Enjoyed it, welcome to HR.

Thank you for the advice/comments chili. I agree about a good music video. I wish :) I don't really have the capacity/time to do it alone, something to think about though. Thanks again x

I'm not sure why you think this way - in your YouTube vid above you're perched in front of a camera miming the song you've previously recorded - since you've done it once, perch yourself in front of the camera another two or three times wearing different outfits with different backgrounds and just blend them in and out - not that hard with basic video editing software like Sony Vegas for instance... clearly you have access to some software because you've added a pic and titles at the start...

Will make it a bit more visually interesting, and doesn't take long in comparison to recording.

In terms of the recording, I agree with whoever said the long delay on the vocal was a bit much at the beginning. The piano playing at the start sounds very "General MIDI patch 1" to me ... and I also think the autotune is way overdone - if you're a singer, you shouldn't be needing it that much, or at all....

Sorry to dissent from the general cheerleading - but you wanted feedback, I assume. ;)

As the song is now a done deal, perhaps there's some stuff to consider next time...

Hello again. I meant that the backing was an little anaonymous, bland. It's OK when the melody & vocal are strong as with yours but some more character/perso wouldn't go astray.
Comments for a future remix
Sounds like a good album title.
I'm just concerned as we often have people who pop in their itune/mspace/fbook links for completed work chasing only click counts/promo kudos. If this is not the case you have my sincerest apologies.

Thanks Armistice/rayc for your input.

Good points made! Thanks. Esp video and keyboard ideas.

Truth is, I took a 2-3 year break from music after my long time guitarist friend passed away, and I couldn't get back into doing anything musical. I didnt even listen to it. Only recently am I feeling the twinges to try and give it another go. I'm in the early stage of writing some new songs now, before I get to the recording part. So....two main reasons I joined. a) To get feedback over what I've done already, which I sort of missed out on as I jumped ship shortly after I did the first album, I wanted to know whether it is really crap or can I do better/different (and as has been said here yes I can!) plus what I can improve on my work for subsequent stuff and.......b) to have a friendly community to interact with when I'm working on new stuff and maybe if I get my brain cells together and am of any use I can help others too. I've read over a lot of threads here and they're helpful. I've forgotten so much.

I'm also looking to collaborate with a guitarist/or someone who gels with my style at some point too, as I plan to do an acoustic album (just me and my keyboard). Then something rockier perhaps with a new guitarist. I like the idea of 'big sound' too. I'm at the excited stage again and sorry if I rambled, just trying to explain myself clearly! It's not easy alone and I've quit so many times with making music its unreal, but something about it just keeps pulling me back eventually. :)

Anyway thanks for listening and all the useful comments.
Carla

Hi Carla - let me assure you that it's absolutely not crap - few tweaks with recording and you're there.

This is a pretty helpful place, if you can stand the occasional ribbing...

Cheers

Back