Song Collaboration Project

skaltpunk

I am organizing a collaborative song-recording and mixing project. The idea is to have separate (as many as possible!) individuals record the same song their own way, and to mix everything together into one cohesive, collaborative piece. The song is already written and the sheet music notation is in Finale form. If you are interested, please download the following 2 files and read the instructions! This should be a great experiment with potential to become a larger project.

Feel free to contact me: songcollab@theaardvark.org

File 1: Instructions:
http://www.theaardvark.org/SongCollaborationExperiment.doc

File 2: Notated Music:
http://www.theaardvark.org/TheorySong.MUS

cheers,
chad

Last edited:
Any chance of getting a this in a format
That you don't need a special program to view?

Not everyone has Finale or the desire to have it...
Anyway a jpeg of the sheet music can be had?

Disposable said:
Any chance of getting a this in a format
That you don't need a special program to view?

Not everyone has Finale or the desire to have it...
Anyway a jpeg of the sheet music can be had?
Or better yet, a .pdf?

BentRabbit said:
We're not helping you get a grade in a theory final here are we?

:rolleyes:
Hmmmmm.....

I'm a little bit lost on what you are trying to do here. Do you want us to just record what you have given, not add to it, or make it a whole song? Do you want us to just record guitar parts, or bass lines, drums; what is it you want us to do. I, for one, need more explanation.

The guitar parts seem easy enough. What would be the point of this whole thing? Is it a grade for a theory final?

it's funny you mention that. indeed, it is for a communication theory project.

to elaborate, this is part of a communication assignment which deals with the internet as a mode of communication. while i will be presenting this to a class, that is not the sole reason for this. i am interested in how music can be collaboratively recorded and mixed using the internet as a communication channel. i would like to soon further this by collaboratively writing, recording, and mixing an album. this is sort of a test-run.

so for the purposes of this piece, yes you will be helping me out with a communication theory project :) . if you download the instructions, you should get a little bit more clarity on how i want this to run. i do want you to complete this song based around the written guitar part and a couple lyrics. after that, you can take the song wherever. i even say in the instructions that there is flexibility within the tempo of the guitar part (ie the strumming pattern and rhythm is up to you) the goal is to mix all of the results into one song, collaboratively.

since it is a test of communication itself, many things may not seem initially clear. but hopefully something will be illuminated by this experience.

i should say that once the guitar part is recorded, you are free to add as many (or as few) parts to the song as you'd like. i'm intentionally trying to put as few stipulations on this as possible.

skaltpunk said:
i should say that once the guitar part is recorded, you are free to add as many (or as few) parts to the song as you'd like. i'm intentionally trying to put as few stipulations on this as possible.
With all the different possible interpretations you could receive, it may be hard to blend them into something cohesive...

Just a thought, but maybe you should give it a bit more structure. If it's a lab on communication, I think the more you provide information-wise, the better this will turn out for you...

the idea is to minimize the limitations on creativity while communicating a basic melodic idea for a song. it is a study on the interpretation of basic melody via the communication channels of the internet.

this seems too vague..........might as well be asking people to simply write a song with a couple given chords.......oh wait, that's what you're doing. :eek:

well, that IS the idea. hehe. not sure if you read about this at all but it is an experiment in communication. surely you understand that communication has a context. this project just has a slightly different context from than other collaboration projects that you may have done or read about. not vague, just few stipulations. more room for creativity. less authoritarian. whatever.

ok at this point we could definitely use keys (or vibes). anyone up for that task? we are pretty covered other than that but we can still fit people in... the more people the larger the collaboration effort, and the more significant the communication feat of synthesis. thanks to everyone who is on board thus far!

Back