Smash - Alt Rock

Mix is very hot. Would help dynamics to master it down a bit.

Vocals actually stand out too much. I want to hear the music a little more. The song rocks!

I really get tired of the vocal also. It's grating all the way through. I don't mind the distorted vocal for a bit but want a clean one at some point. I think that would REALLY help the song.

Just my opinion

I kind of like the vocal effect but it is too much for me. Bringing the vocal down a bit would help take some of the edge off, then maybe add some low end to smooth it out a bit, still keeping some edge. I don't hear much bass, maybe that's how you want it?

The mix seems to be lacking low end, as others said. I can't really make out what the bass is doing at all most of the time. It's as if it's all transient and no fundamental. It could also be that the guitars are taking up a bit too much low end, which is why you may have thinned out the bass.

Regarding the distortion on the vocals, it's a cool effect, but:
1. It does get old.
2. I literally could not understand one word in the whole song.

The banjo-esque thing (synth?) is a cool, unexpected touch!

So you guys are all agreeing it seems..

Just to explain a bit.. the base is often doing the same movement as the guitar.. except in the end of refrains.. and in the verses I guess.. the base has a full body but its doubled with a basetrack with lots of distortion and edge..

Vocals too loud and wrong sound. Get it. ??

I wouldn't worry too much about the lyrics at this point. Many.. many hit songs have so-so lyrics.

The vocal sounds better - more realistic but still a bit too up front. I can hear the bass now - sounds good. There are what I assume to be tom rolls between L/R channels but they are not well defined at all - sounds like someone bumping into a live mic stand. Still overall, sounding better.

Not sure how you've done the guitars but they have that DI sound with distortion added after. That's my only complaint, everything else sounds good on headphones. The guitars just don't suit to my ears. You got a good rockin track here. Nice job

The snare sounds good. The kick drum is too boomy and flabby the the instruments in this mix are a little muddy and lack definition and clarity... which contributes to the mix being boom sounding.
I would suggest cutting 100hz on the kick and boosting around 4k (or there abouts for kick drum click and definition) and take the kick drum level down...it is hitting a little too hard. I think the instruments should come up in the mix and cut back the lows on the instruments starting at 250hz and down to 100hz (cut everything below 100hz completely on the instruments). There is a high mid frequency on the vocal that is grating to the ear around 800hz to 1000k...I would boost frequencies in that range way up, one frequency at a time, until you find the frequency that REALLY makes the vocal sound like shit, and when you find it do a sizeable cut on that frequency.

Last edited:
Back