Remember John Lennon

Ah some forgotten Plastic Ono Band era stuff!

The drums and piano don't line up and its bugging me! The piano also sounds very low fi, as the cymbals (snare isn't too bad) and the vocals came out pretty well. Is there a bass guitar?

Yeah man.

Got track 1 drums, track 2 bass, track 3 piano & track 4 voice. TrackL piano and TrackR bass is pretty seamless, I Know. I meant it that way.

The timing on this one kills me, so pls don't crucify me.

I've analyzed this song over and over, and I could not make a clean turnaround on "4" thru the verse, but my version always turns around and resolves on the "1" in the chorus the same way, so works for me. It's tight & best as I got tonight so is difficult at best. Maybe heinous timing errors here but going on feel for this one. Maybe it's John-timing but perplexes me a bit that I just don't get. Plastic Ono Band rules anyway, & u know it. [IMO] Fidelity is good, so lofi call it as you may. The big limit here I see here is pushing the sound card, so go figure. I may mix on my other puter later, TBD.

Thanx much for listening!!!:eek:;)

Last edited:
Pretty ambitious, Dave, to try to cover this song. Sounds pretty good, but the best thing is ANY reason to remember Mr. Lennon makes my day.:)

My friend,.,..

The drums and piano don't line up and its bugging me!

I've banged this song thru my head so many times, literally for years, but I defy anyone to listen to the JL original recording and square that with 4/4 time, which I could never do and believe it's not.

However, (06/09/08) EDITED VERSION produced on MAGIX Music Studio DAW to correct percieved performance timing errors. Added 17 seconds onto song with 24 1-beat edits to square up properly with 4/4 time.

In short: I probably butchered this song live, but was salvaged thru the miracle of Digital!

Pls take another listen!

THX! /DA:eek:;)

Hey Reel...that a good tune. a strange tempo, you agree?

using a DAW, well I'll be admitting I'm surprised. I thought you'd be slpicing cassette tape to edit.(jus kiddin)

whats that other offbeat tempo...says How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm fac-ing...really strange beat.

great job. you had beers afterwards?:D

Funny,...

Funny,... with "EDIT 06/09" there are still a couple parts that don't seem to flow right,... though I've verified the "squareness" of it in a 4-count throughout. I'm of the opinion that the original Lennon version has some quick "unsquare" turnarounds where it may turn on a "3" or even a "2" beat at certain intervals. For this reason, I'm determined to revisit the original recording and scrutinize it down to the Nth degree, and nail it down. The only time I'm satisfied with this version is when I do a 1-and-2-and-3-and-4 count throughout, though I detect 2 places where the flow seems off vs. the original.

Some of it with Lennon tunes goes on feel, and doesn't necessarily rely on squareness of counts in measures. He was great. He could do that and pull it off. There could be quick timing changes tucked into verses or turnarounds that help make his stuff real and interesting. I'm an amatuer. I struggle with it. Little spots in this edited version still bug me on flow, not count. The count's there and yet it's still not 100% right.

WORD: This edited version resolves some timing problems but may have some minor flaws in count vs. the original, which doesn't seem to always count squarely in 4's. This edited version will remain up until I either figure out where the original correct beat count takes me, or maybe back to my original "live" 1-take version which seems tight on it's own and needs to be reverified. A WORK IN PROGRESS TO CHECK AND VERIFY AS YET TBD, as time allows. I generally dislike editing, anyway. I'd rather do without it.

Thanx!!!:eek::rolleyes:

never thought of it that much but your right, he had several tunes and a offbeat thing here and there...but it sounds right, is that like a freestyle kind of?

Covering this tune has forced me to analyze it.

This one's the most difficult Lennon song I've covered by timing, so far.

My original "1-take" version sounded good on flow, but sent me into fits when trying to count it out.

My "Edit 06/09" version works well on count, but has a couple changes there where it doesn't seem to flow.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. I'll pull out the original JL recording again & go thru it with a fine tooth comb 'til it's right.

Yeah, some of what he did could be called "freestyle", but he just had a knack for creativity in music. Legendary talent.

I downloaded only first version.And sorry, I don´t know the original.

I like piano´s "lo-fi quality" (as some said...).Very "Lennon":)
Vox pretty good sounding too (really "analog", even "thin" , but nice on mix).
I suppose there´s no bass guitar (I´m not listening it,could fit pretty well...)
And the drums (real drums?)sounds ok despite the strange groove (something like Julian Lennon performance on Walls and Bridges´s yaya)

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

Good "John" voice. I love this tune. As mentioned, though, the timing makes it hard to listen to. Nice choice of cover, love the piano.

Yeah,...

So far, I tend to favor the "1-take" version based on flow, rather than the "edited' version based on count, but they both may be flawed. I have yet to go over the original and re-analyze it. Must find copy disc. Rework is TBA/TBD, (soon).:eek:;)

Thanx guyz!

Attachments

• 1-John Lennon 70s a.jpg
    1-John Lennon 70s a.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
My friend,...

Correct, the first poster (above) couldn't detect a bass in the mix, & neither can you. The scoop on that is it's nearly seamlessly tucked down on the right in total unison. It's subtle, but it's there. It's not mixed so heavy & up front as the original, or as strident. Nor do I have the chops in the chorus for up-front bass. Note taken on apparent lack of bass for listeners. Not sure if I'd have time to remix and post a no-bass clip to SC as an example, but I hear what u mean. It's subtle & in the nearly seamless unison with the piano. Your take, MO.:eek:;) I may revisit this issue with a more up-front bass mix,... or not. We'll see. I could work on my bass chops too.:eek::eek:;)

The Real Dope:
First of all, the songbook gves the intro section in 12/8 timing, then the body of the song in 4/4, throughout. However, on the album cut original JL recording of this song, there is a section in the first verse transition to chorus, where it actually has two bars of "3-count", then turnaround in the chorus back to 4/4. Not only that, but the 3-count bars do not repeat themselves in the 2nd verse-transition-to-chorus...!!!:eek::eek:;)

My Conclusion:
There's a point in there where for 2-bars I believe John was going on "feel" of the way the song turns, (ending in a 3-count) and not based on "count", though definitely the 3/4 bars resolve and the rest of the body of the song rotates on a "4-count". Did he miss a beat for 2 -bars, or was this simply intentional or "freestyle". Yeah. He was John, who could pull that timing thing off on record and basically get away with it, only to leave recording hacks and nerds such as myself to analyze it decades later. I definitely think John Lennon could carry any song simply on feel, and count be-damned if that's what it takes. Offbeat? Yeah. John, Yoko and this song were all a bit offbeat at times.:eek:;)

My Versions:
My "1-take" version needs help from the outset that needs minor edits to square the song with 4/4 in each verse, (the odd 3/4 bars excepted).

My "Edited" version is pretty good timing-wise throughout, with edits nearly seamless (tho' I can tell). The one or two places where there's an extra 1 or 2-count that spoils the flow will be revisited and re-edited. What of the "original" 2-bars of 3/4? I'll probably gloss over it unless there's a problem with flow in that section, or the problem section I'm thinking of is the same as those two errant bars.

Notes:
I generally disdain song editing in concept, but this is an example of a track that clearly benefits from it. Does that make me a hack who basically butchered this song? Sure, you could say that. That's always happened to me when playing/singing this song simultaneously, (timing issues). When performing, there's too much happening in my head and the counting scheme breaks down. However, I previously tried tracking a verbal 4-count to an adjacent track, then piano track by itself, and it was simply not happening for me as a technique or help.

Headline:
Man Confesses on BBS He Butchered John Lennon!

Thanx again U guyz Rock!

Attachments

• 1-John Lennon 70s.jpg
    1-John Lennon 70s.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 13
OK, you finished????? :D

Just to be clear, when I said the timing makes it hard to listen to, I wasn't talking about time signatures and changes. I meant, it's not tight. I thought that's what others were refering too also. The drums are behind the beat often and it's just not tight. The original version is tight, so I don't mean the song, I mean this performance. Not trying to be overly-critical, I just wanted to be clear on what I meant. I like everything else about this, though, and it's a great tune.

I got it man. No beat man. Loosey Goosey.

The time signature changes are vexxing me on it, though. It's a difficult practice piece for me. Thanx again!:eek:;)

Back