Rate my cover - He Was a Friend of Mine

jimmiebananas

Good Evening,

I just recorded this version of "He Was a Friend of Mine" (traditional) in a variation of the Bob Dylan/Dave Van Ronk version of the song. There's really no production, just a once-through singing and playing and I didn't even finger pick or anything.

I was trying something vocally. Just kind of singing without thinking about - I guess you could call it my in-the-shower voice.

Here's the link: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7487482&q=hi

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks is advance

Really awesome...your singing is tremendous. Sounds like you have an ok recording space there. What were your mics and what not?

I wanna sing like that!

Thanks, Monkey Allen!

I was using an AKG Perception 200 near my mouth and an Audio Technica AT2020 near the guitar, recorded through a Boss BR-864 to a single mono track. I used a bit of reverb to give it some space (Boss pedal - Digital Reverb RV-5)

It's a budget setup, but for my purposes it usually gets the job done.

You've got a good voice there. It's a great soul voice. I like the way you are able to convey intensity and interest while also showing style and restraint.

It's a great version, simple and effective.

Thanks, guys.

I've been trying to develop my vocal style for a while and it's good to know that at least some people find it enjoyable.

I appreciate the feedback!

Back