Ramones - "Shes a Sensation" - listen and critique please

Greg_L

Banned
Here's my rendition of the sweet and poppy Ramones classic "She's a Sensation".

Please listen and any comments are welcome - good or bad. :)

Greg

I luv u man!

That's fine, really.

The only things that struck me is that the guitar and voice may need a bit more treble, (needs more bite), but that's a nitpick & I don't usually nitpick mixes. Otherwise, it's a very fine performance!

I'm your biggest fan. U inspire me to produce some'n new. Yeah,... more RAMONES! :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

I just told my wife, 'there are two people like us in the universe! ~(me/GregL)

PS: great choice of mat'l. IMO the Ramones is a nearly inexhausible source of mat'l and inspiration! GABBA GABBA HEY!

A Reel Person said:
That's fine, really.

The only things that struck me is that the guitar and voice may need a bit more treble, (needs more bite), but that's a nitpick & I don't usually nitpick mixes. Otherwise, it's a very fine performance!

I'm your biggest fan. U inspire me to produce some'n new. Yeah,... more RAMONES! :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

I just told my wife, 'there are two people like us in the universe! ~(me/GregL)

PS: great choice of mat'l. IMO the Ramones is a nearly inexhausible source of mat'l and inspiration! GABBA GABBA HEY!
Wow. Thanks bro. I appreciate that. As soon as I get the bugs worked out of this one, expect it to be dropped into your Ramones cover thread. ;) :)

Yeah after getting away from it for a little bit, i hear the vocals arent quite as sharp as they could be. I'll play with it more.

As for the guitar sound, I find that Johnny Ramone's tone on the 'Pleasant Dreams' album is considerably 'mellower' than his usual buzzsawing sound, so I purposefully tried to reproduce that tone with my sound on this song. In any case, an accurate Ramones guitar sound is freakishly difficult to emulate unless you're using a junky old Mosrite through a wall of Marshall's, so getting it close was good enough for me. ;)

Thanks for the listen and the input. :)

Sounds really tight, the only thing I'd suggest is that when the falsetto voice comes in around 3:00 that it doesn't come in so strong, because it kind of appears out of nowhere, i'd fade it in more. But then again, it may be my shitty headphones.. :rolleyes:

Really great tone on the guitar - smooth and raunchy and the same time, with a nice "snap and bounce" to to the rhythm - maybe that's the effects I'm referring to.....

Vocals have that equally smooth tone - you must have some secret weapon in your arsenal of equipment...

Definitely head bopping beat...

Only 1:24 of the tune downloaded....leaving me wanting more each time I listened.....

Great Job!

:D :) :D :)

andycerrone said:
Sounds really tight, the only thing I'd suggest is that when the falsetto voice comes in around 3:00 that it doesn't come in so strong, because it kind of appears out of nowhere, i'd fade it in more. But then again, it may be my shitty headphones.. :rolleyes:
Hmmmm, good call. Thats a good idea. Thanks for the input. :)

ido1957 said:
Really great tone on the guitar - smooth and raunchy and the same time, with a nice "snap and bounce" to to the rhythm - maybe that's the effects I'm referring to.....

Vocals have that equally smooth tone - you must have some secret weapon in your arsenal of equipment...

Definitely head bopping beat...

Only 1:24 of the tune downloaded....leaving me wanting more each time I listened.....

Great Job!

:D :) :D :)
Thanks a lot ido. No secret weapons here. If it sounds decent, it was a total accident. :p

I just fiddle with it until I get something that I think sounds good.

Sorry about the short download. Filelodge sucks. I put them there just so I can post it and get some feedback. Then, when I feel its about as good as it can get, I put it on my soundclick page.

But since theres a problem, here it is on my soundclick page if anyone else cares to listen:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592804

Hey Greg_L - I wanted to check out the whole song (you mentioned that the short download was an error). Anyway, neither site will let me stream or download....just thought I'd check to see if you were updating or whether it's a site problem....let me know.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

ido1957 said:
Hey Greg_L - I wanted to check out the whole song (you mentioned that the short download was an error). Anyway, neither site will let me stream or download....just thought I'd check to see if you were updating or whether it's a site problem....let me know.... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Thats weird. I have it up on my soundclick page, and it seems to be working fine. :confused:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592804

Just keep trying I guess. Thanks.

Well, looks like filelodge is streaming - but it stopped halway through for a few seconds then continued (buffering). No big deal, just thought I'd update you....Also soundclick is working too - stream and download...

Anyway, listening on my earbuds this afternoon...

Continue to enjoy the sound of the guitars, the vocals are cool, sitting well and mixed nicely. Harmonies are perfect - those ooohs are really cool effect.
The drums are cool too, the stereo effect coming through nicely on the rolls over the snare to the toms. Great playing on everything....

:) :D :) :D

The vocal is a dead ringer for for the original (Joey?). Backing vocals are real good too. I like the sound of the toms. Everything is sitting nicely in its proper place. Good cover, nice job

Bulls Hit said:
The vocal is a dead ringer for for the original (Joey?). Backing vocals are real good too. I like the sound of the toms. Everything is sitting nicely in its proper place. Good cover, nice job
Wow. Thank you. :)

Dude,...

Bulls Hit said:
I was just gonna say the same thing! E'thing's right in the pocket.

Freudian Slip said:
Sounds great! Good work.

F.S.
Thanks a lot. :)

If anyone gives a damn, I have an 'updated' version up on my soundclick page. I just fiddled with the vocal and backing vocal EQ's a bit. No biggee.

Back