Pseudo Intelligent Superior Man

queepy

aka Variaxman
Just finished this little ditty dedicated to a asshole I work with....

Mix is pretty loud and it ain't a pretty song , my ears are whipped right now , so any mix comments are appreciated!

**The links below now play my 2nd mix, uploaded 6/17.Tried to fix the vocals and make em sit better in the mix..**

P.I.S.M - STREAMING

P.I.S.M. DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Drums sound great. Same with bass and guitar. Man, how do you accomplish that bass tone in the mix?

Vocals are a little far back for my taste, and sound pretty tinny, especially compared to the good quality recording from the drums and other instruments.

Music is sounding pretty good....nice and fat. Fatten the vocals up a bit....maybe more compression... :confused:
They just seem to get lost at times in this mix. I think you did a good job on the delivery, so mess with them a bit to get them sitting better. The music is pretty tight...sounds good. Fun tune man... :D

Excellent song - I am cursed with a similar gonad at work, thus I feel your pain. Unfortunately he is smart but not witty so it's slightly more painful. I like the chord patterns in this - kinda punk, kinda rock.... The solo is fabulous. Which guitar(s) did which parts?

AFA mix goes, the vocals are a little trebley in the chorus and lack definition in the verse (i.e I can't make out the words). The big thing about the verses though is that they seem loud enough - so maybe it's effects that are washing out some definition. BUT It's pretty normal - I cannot understand the words in 50% of the songs I listen to....so take that with a grain....

:) :D :) :D

dkerwood Drums sound great. Same with bass and guitar. Man, how do you accomplish that bass tone in the mix?

Vocals are a little far back for my taste, and sound pretty tinny, especially compared to the good quality recording from the drums and other instruments.

Thanks, the bass guitar was recorded thru a pod xtlive with the bass expansion, drums were Beta Monkee loops...agree about the vox...I will try and fix em with my next mix attempt.

Dogman Music is sounding pretty good....nice and fat. Fatten the vocals up a bit....maybe more compression...
They just seem to get lost at times in this mix. I think you did a good job on the delivery, so mess with them a bit to get them sitting better. The music is pretty tight...sounds good. Fun tune man...

Yeah, I am putting the vox more out there on the new mix...at least I'm finally drying em' up ....I usually drench em in reverb and delay :o ...thanks for listening...glad ya like it!

Monkey Allen "Like a chicken nugget on a bun, an hour with him can't be much fun"
That's just gold

I was actually kinda stuck for a second verse on this , and my wife , who was trying to get my 5 yr old son to eat a chicken patty sandwich, he is a picky eater, so she kept telling him that the sandwich was like a chicken nugget on a bun( he loves chicken nuggets)...it didn't work, but for some reason, that line stuck with me and seemed to fit here :p
I think the next time my real band plays a gig we will call ourselves the "Bun Nuggets".
Thanks for checking it out!

ido1957 Excellent song - I am cursed with a similar gonad at work, thus I feel your pain. Unfortunately he is smart but not witty so it's slightly more painful. I like the chord patterns in this - kinda punk, kinda rock.... The solo is fabulous. Which guitar(s) did which parts?
AFA mix goes, the vocals are a little trebley in the chorus and lack definition in the verse (i.e I can't make out the words). The big thing about the verses though is that they seem loud enough - so maybe it's effects that are washing out some definition. BUT It's pretty normal - I cannot understand the words in 50% of the songs I listen to....so take that with a grain....

Thanks Idol.....yeah, this guy I work with is incredibly lame..I could probably do a whole concept album about him!..I used my Gibson Firebird Studio for all the Rhythm guitar tracks(2...1 recorded and then split between two tracks, panned hard left and right, and then nudged so they are just a tad out of alignment....and then a second stereo track)The amp settings were a Marshall and a Boggie thru the Pod xtlive, the lead guitar was my Variax using the Les Paul Jr. model thru a Fender deluxe amp model on the pod...I had a Tube Screamer and a Wah turned on and kinda partially depressed for the tone...all emulated thru the Pod.Wanted the lead to sound kinda skanky ;)

Hey dude, this sounds cool. :)

The guitar playing is pretty tight. I'm pretty sure that you got that done one go. Sometimes I have to punch in even my rhythms 'coz I don't have the patience (read skill) to play it without mistake from the top thru the end.

Anyhoo, in this mix, I would only recommend boosting the bass slightly.

The vox sound good so don't drench them in anything as you said you'd normally do. The vox sound good.

I like it. I love your titles, too. I personally like the voacls the way they are for this song because they're punky in nature, so I don't mind them sounding a little raw.

Drums and mix is great, man.

Boy, do I crave that snare sound...

I, too, like the rawness of the vox; it's sort of a refined neo-punk thing, but no "fuck" in it.

So tell us the story, what inspired the tune?

Space punk - Hawkwind meets the Buzzcocks or maybe the Adverts.
The solo starts off vintage Steve Jones meets Chuck Berry.
Maybe this is Tunapunkspacecockrock!
Nice - did you play it for him - LOUDLY over the tannoy?

Great song man. I think the bass could use just a twat-hair more presence in the mix. The rest is perfect. Very cool riff. Sounds like Judas Priest gone punk.

BigBubba - Thanks man...a few people who I have played this to in person have mentoned the same thing about the bass guitar...I will mess with it.

Rami - Yeah im so insecure about doing vocals, it's hard for me to leave em' this dry...but I agree they seem to work good for this.Thanks for listening!

timthetortoise - Ha! I've been waiting for that comment :p ... I tried Pseudo Intellectual, but that extra syllable just didn't flow good while trying to sing it...I have enough issues singing as is so I thought I would change it....plus, if I ever play it to the songs inspiration, I'm sure he will offer the same observation, while being oblivious as to
who it is about :rolleyes: .....

Llarion - Thanks man, the drum loops are actually from a Beta Monkey drum loop cd....I actually copied my finished drum track to a second track, added a bit of compression and panned it bit off center with a tiny bit of delay...seemed to add to the realism depth of the drum sound.
The guy is actually the area manger for the company I work for, which is a large IT outsourcing firm. He is a total douche who is constantly setting up phone conferences for us techs to call in about basically nothing....just reinventing the wheel by constantly putting "process's and procedures" in place, then updating or changing them every day....he signs his e-mails with little chestnuts like :
"Leadership is an attitude before it is an ability"
or
"Training plants the seed, Managers must water it"
I think they based the manager character from the movie "Office Space" on this guy

rayc - Tunapunkspacecockrock, ha! sounds like a new genre that should be created for Soundclick! Both Steve Jones and Chuck B. were huge guitar influences on me growing up so thanks for the comparisons

Greg_L - Thanks Greg, yeah, something about a good heavy F# barre chord groove always gives me the Priest vibe when I'm trying to write a song ;) ...Gonna kick the bass up a bit on the re-mix and call er' finished I think...thanks for listening!

variaxman said:
Llarion
The guy is actually the area manger for the company I work for, which is a large IT outsourcing firm. He is a total douche who is constantly setting up phone conferences for us techs to call in about basically nothing....just reinventing the wheel by constantly putting "process's and procedures" in place, then updating or changing them every day....he signs his e-mails with little chestnuts like :
"Leadership is an attitude before it is an ability"
or
"Training plants the seed, Managers must water it"
I think they based the manager character from the movie "Office Space" on this guy

Oye, vey...

I used to work for this tool who'd leave group voicemails for my team with a spray of nonsensical Covey/Robbins/Ziglar mishmash, and end it each day with "If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes..."

Back