Post your best mix Ever!

frank_1

Come on guys don't be shy, post your best mixes that you still have laying around. Any type of music. And please state if it was mastered or not, that's important!

Hmmmmmmmm.....Not sure if this is my best, but I thought I should at least post something that I produced/recorded/mixed, and even performed a bit on (okay, I did the megaphone part, but that counts....the timing and texture on the voice was everything, and nobody else in the band could get either right for some reason.....:rolleyes:

This was recorded on TypeI ADAT's, using mostly ART pre's, although we used a bit of a TL Audio classic on some stuff, SM57's on snare toms and guitars, AT 4033's as overheads backup vocals trumpet and trombone and the horn on the Leslie cabinet and percussion, AT 4051 on high hat, C1000S on the bottom of the Leslie cabinet, and a RE 27 for the kick drum and saxaphone, and a 414 on the male vocal. Mixed to DAT, a Fostex D-5 (my 16 bit mixing days!) with an ART between the DDA console we used and the DAT recorder. We used mostly Behringer Composer (pre Pro) compressors, but did have a Crainsong for the vocal! Effects were mostly a Lexicon PCM 70 for reverb and a PCM 41 for delay, but as I recall on this song, we also used a Lexicon 480 for background stuff, and an Alesis Quadraverb 2 for some slight detune stuff.

This file is a bit large, sorry, the song is long, and even at the 192kbs encoding I can hear a bit of quality loss, mainly in the top end and of course the overall depth. I could only imagine sorry 128kbs encoding.....:(

Unmastered. This is directly from the DAT. I am not sure if this was actually the mixed we used on the CD. There was 8 mixes of the song and this was the second to last that we did.

7.58MB

Ed

Oh, this whole thing was recorded in a basement.

No PODS, drum machines, digital keyboards, etc......

Just real instruments and amps being mic'ed up, except the bass which was DI'ed.

Ed

my best reverb ever

I walked out of my library one day, singing. THe reverb I heard was excellent. So I analyzed it and discovered that it was a combination of a small airy room verb and a bigger plate verb at a lower level.

I tried to duplicate it in this song and it works great, I think. especially on the vox

mixes

wow some great stuff there. I love checking out everyone's music.

Here's a mix I'm pretty happy with. This is an original rock instrumental tune recorded & mixed in CW9.

thanks-

WOW, COOL TUNES ALL!

so far.....

1. melevelant dentistry
exactly how i feel at the dentists' office- scared to death, heart beating a million miles and hour, here comes the drill, it's spinning at 60 million revolutions a minute, the sweats are jumping out of me like hundreds of exiting pods from the mothership...oh no, here comes the needle.......it does in and the pain is like a thousand shards of glass piercing the roof of my mouth..........

i really like it. no wankin here!

2. caleb-perfume
is this a parlor guitar? nice opening tone, a little distant, then the 2nd part comes in, nice blend! Very clean vocal recording, a nice transparent compression on the voice...... this is a very basic recording, but the arrangement and playing is smooth and stands alone without any extra instrumentation.

3. demons in the shell
bad seafood, eh! is this brian may in the beginning? very cool multi guitar parts, with some nice violin tone.....pod guitars? a good balanced recording. Drum machine is machine, but still sounds good......i like all the different changes in guitar tones..... sometimes dirty, sometimes clean, sometimes middy, sometimes crunchy.....the delay on the clean parts kind of mucks up the rhythm a bit...... but is a nice sound, maybe change the timing a bit, or mix the effect down a touch so it doesn't take over the timing.......nice ending.

4. heavy brother
wow, funky! probably my favorite of this bunch. Really nice horn break in the beginning....super cool rhythm guitar, very in the pocket, nice doubling with the 2nd part, different tone, very together....i like the groove change from the opening to the 1st verse, nice. a taste of dirty rhythm guitar in the back, nice flavor..... phat, groovy bass tone.... nice bouncing rhythm.....also clear vocal recording, sounds live.......
i just love the horn breaks...... i'd love to do some parts like those, except on the guitar, i'm going to have to study this one a bit!
nice trumpet solo, good delay effect on it, not too much..... good licks, doesn't get too jazzy.....
good sax break, with the woman-voice intro, nice hammond-type key swells....
cool tune, almost too much cool stuff going on, you should pinch it back, and save some pieces/parts for some other tunes!

thanks

thanks for all the feedback there gonzo... I agree the guitars can get a bit dreamy sometimes.

I thought 'bat's brew' was jammin, nice guitar tones all around, excellent playing, rockin mix.

Just for the record the drum track on 'demons' is a unedited live performance on a trigger pad setup using a TD-8 module.

rock on brother-

Everyone good!
Bats Brew: very cool, Pink Floyd like.

Mal. Dentistry: Not really into metal but the guitars smoked!!

Heavy Bro: Was very cool, groovin and horns make it great!

Perfume: Very nice acoustic sound, how did you mic that , or is it electric/acoustic?

Heinz: Rockin'! kinda Boston like in the beginning, what is the TD-8 module, did you do this all yourself?

I was wondering how some of you got your links directly to a media player??? You will have to look at the bottom for my link www.garageband.com/artist/shem let me know what you think, i have been doing this for about 9 months now and recorded this using samplitude basic with some fx and the rebirth program, Im not sure what "mastering" entails though?? Thanks!

hey norm55,

AKG makes the c414, and it is basically one of the best all round mics you can buy, especially for the average $400 price its going for on ebay.

shem,

I've sent you an email.

heinz. Tight work. I also sent you an email.

I feel this was my best mix because it was recorded on a Tascam 688 cassette 8track recorder with a Shure 57 and a old Fender chorus amp and Yamaha keyboard...I can't remember what it was?....no mic preamp, no computer, no cool plugins...just heart and soul...I feel I was more insperational when I did not have all this new gear and deadlines.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/142/crash_davenport.html

Garger

This is old but one of my best

The band is Braindance. It was recorded on a junky 4 track cassette deck.

Jgourd is this your band? It sounds so complex, youd think there were more than just a four track being used! So i didnt download the whole thing because it said it was 21 min long!:rolleyes: is it really that long?(rollover godda de vida!) Well it was cool, nice acoustic, the drum fx were nice, good vocals

its only 5 minutes

This was my band in 1989. I was the band engineer. It was recorded in a rehearsal space. I think we bounced it a few times.

I would love to post two tracks. Who can point me in the direction of a host for them. I do not want to put on MP3.com. Somewhere I don't have to give alot of personal info. One is 7:00:00 long the other about 1:30:00. Encoded using wavelab 3.0 at 192kbps.

Thanks

Back