poppy rock song w/ new acoustic "Meet Me in Belize"

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
Hey guys, bought an acoustic while traveling so I could have a guitar and just recorded one of the songs I wrote with the full home instrument treatment, ANY comments are welcome on any part of the mix, song, or anything... anything helps :)

The first half of the mix is completely different than the second as the song builds up to some hard rock too... in Meet Me in Belize

Thanks!

Listening 3rd time. Overall good song. Nice sounding acoustic, but maybe it needs to come out a little more. I don't hear the kick too well, maybe it's me, though. And I think the vocals need something, but I can't tell you what. (cause I don't know :( )

Guitar work is really really good. Love the solo.

Good job.

Listening 3rd time. Overall good song. Nice sounding acoustic, but maybe it needs to come out a little more. I don't hear the kick too well, maybe it's me, though. And I think the vocals need something, but I can't tell you what. (cause I don't know :( )

Guitar work is really really good. Love the solo.

Good job.

Hey Chili, thanks for the kind words and tips! I had the vocals completely dry, so I just tried adding a touch a reverb to them... not sure if it's enough or if it does the trick yet. I'll remix some more later and mess with the kick/acoustic some. I like acoustic sound too, but after being away from the electric for so long I couldn't resist it taking over ;):D Thanks again

This is a really cool piece. I would highly recommend vocals without any FX at all. Sounds cool. A touch of verb on vox.

The guitar line is really really cool. It's really dreamy and really original.

This is a really cool piece. I would highly recommend vocals without any FX at all. Sounds cool. A touch of verb on vox.

The guitar line is really really cool. It's really dreamy and really original.

Thanks Bubba, good to catch you around again! I was definitely going for a dreamy feel then later a chaotic fun feel to kind of sum up every part of an adventure. The version you probably heard had just the touch of verb... I agree I've been using less and less effects because I'm hard to understand in first place :o Glad you enjoyed it :)

Listening second time.

One thing to suggest if you don't mind.

After 2:30 when the dist. lead kicks in the bass is still kind of more dreamy and sounds like there's some EQ emptiness between the heaviness of bass and the thinness of guitars. So maybe EQ the bass up more there or maybe play an octave higher and EQ heavy or just open up mid ranges. But only after this point. Don't touch it before that.

Just my suggestion. :).

The clean and the dist. guitars are played really really really well.

Cool tune man.....I got no tips, but enjoyed the ride. Thanks man....:D

Thanks dog! Glad you enjoyed the ride. woof! It was quite a ride to sum up in a song :D I'll keep working at this to try to get this to be my trip theme song ;)

Listening second time.

One thing to suggest if you don't mind.
After 2:30 when the dist. lead kicks in the bass is still kind of more dreamy and sounds like there's some EQ emptiness between the heaviness of bass and the thinness of guitars. So maybe EQ the bass up more there or maybe play an octave higher and EQ heavy or just open up mid ranges. But only after this point. Don't touch it before that.

Just my suggestion. :).

Sure, love suggestions :D I'll mess around with your recommendations tomorrow, I actually did two takes on the bass, and it splits exactly at 2:30 so it won't be hard to EQ that around without effecting the first half. I'll get a remix up tomorrow and see how it sounds ;)

The clean and the dist. guitars are played really really really well.

Appreciate it much, thanks! :)

That's some great lead melodies you've got there. The accoustic is real nice too. With the vocals, have you ever tried getting them tighter together in the doubled parts? On a tune I did recently, the vocals just weren't happening, they were cloudy and indistinct and someone suggested trying to just get the doubled parts as close together as possible, cut & paste if necessary. I redid them & it made a huge difference. I was able to make the vocal quieter and yet it was more audible. This tune is a lot more structured than others I've heard from you, and maybe could benefit in that area. Another thing to try on the vocal is heavy fast release compression instead of reverb, just something to try. As is though, still a very cool tune

Smokin Lead on Part II man, you are really rippin it up ! I agree with B H regarding the doubled vocals, althought your vocals are quite complex and could prove to be challenge to get exactly the same. Perhaps the old copy and stagger paste and pan trick? I'll leave that with you. Your songwriting and mixing is great on this one too. It looks like you've been busy during your absence....oh yeah, welcome back....;)

Hey Snake man, I really enjoyed this, very melodic tune for you and a bit different from your your other stuff...really dig your acoustic playing, both the rhythm and solo. Nice change up with the electric part coming in...great solo...your really jammin' ! Niiiiccceee!

It has a catchy vibe to it. I think when you start getting louder vocally and the distorted guitars are going it almost sounds like one is overpowering they other at times quite a bit. Other than that sounds pretty good.

Hey guys, thanks! Sorry for the slow response... had to move all the comp/studio stuff and get set up again.. anyway...

Bulls - thanks for the comments and tips man, I'll give all that a shot. All I have now is a main vocal with a soft backup here and there panned about 15%... I'll mess around with your tips and definitely get a new version up real soon with what sounds better... haha, you're right, I called this song "poppy" because it was actually structured ;)

Nakatira - Hey Nak, what's up? Great to hear from you, the classic rock master :D Glad you enjoyed it and hope the bands going well!

monkeymanx - I hear what you mean. I think I'll split those the vocal track up between the first section and the second because the same effects don't seem to fit as well later. Thanks monkey, gonna check out your tune in a minute here :cool:

Ax - thanks Ax! I guess despite the lyrics being out there, the actual tune had a lot more meaning behind it than usual so there was a lot feeling behind it. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words! :)

ido - Hey Gerry! After being away from my electric for so long, this song was required to have a jam out :D:D strangely my vocals are always erratic like that :confused:, so I'll give the double vocal a try on top of Bulls tips... thanks for the kinds words :)

Cool, man - this reminds me of early Ween. I like it mucho.

Interesting vocal sound and delivery. I like the guitar solo, too.

Whoa Oh Oh-Oh, Whoa Oh-Oh-OH-Oh!!

Back