"The Play" (Not-Quite-Broadway version)

A recent version was just guitar and voice, and was a bit loose at the edges maybe. But this one's spectacular by comparison. It's a spooky song, and it's made way more powerful by the extremely well-put together VERY UNUSUAL music.

That's a work of art. Whenever I can honestly enjoy everything in a style, mix, song, that's completely separated from my "norm", it's the true "quality that rings through.

Joe

You need to write a book man......

"EarCandy" by SluiCe........

You come up with the coolest little nuances man. They really make your music exiciting and tasteful.
g-a sluicefan:)

hehehe...

That was fun to listen to. :D

I liked the somewhat out of tune (but not really out of tune) vocal. I don't know if that's really the right way to say it :D. It gave the song a nice kind of "I'm freaking crazy" feel. :D

Mix sounded great to me. Nice work.

SLuiCe said:
Who's Todd Rundgren? I'd like to hear something.
You're kidding right? If you don't know his work, PM me and I'll send you a couple of CD's that you'll like. Someone mentioned Utopia and that's cool but to really "get" Todd; you need his earlier stuff.

This song has grown and morphed into a very unusual piece. All of your work has a signature sound to it but this carries that to a more idiosyncratic level. My 'puter speakers are screwing up so I'll eschew giving any mix advice; others can cover that aspect. But the song itself is cool, cool COOL!

Very very creative. I could see Fosse choreographing this one...

Listening on some cheap-ass speakers, so take these with a giant grain o' salt:

(1) I'm not sure the early drum part (before the full band was in) worked - either a more orchestral drum sound with that pattern, or a more groove-oriented pattern with that sound. But it could be my crap speakers hiding something from me.

(2) The vocs seemed too low once the full band was in. Nice blend prior to that, though.

(3) I wasn't ready for it to be over! You might want to go back to the beginning after the big finish.

Pop. Six. Squish. Uh-uh. Cicero. Lipschitz.
repeat.

:D

Seriously, very nicely done. It's a keeper, even with no changes.

Okay when I called you a "classic" in that other thread I wasnt calling you an old car hehe. I liked both versions of this so far, but this one is better...cause you worked yer ass off some more and it shows. I'm heading to mixmkrs version on this:D . Great stuff Tom.

Awesome drum sounds. Drumkit from hell, was it? Certainly powerful and lifelike. The midi "violin" sounds un-fitting for the song. Acoustic guitars are wonderfully mixed. Very weird gizmo-break-thing there. I don't think it fits the song, but I guess it could, since the song is pretty weird. The heavy guitar has some weird EQ settings. All your distorted guitars sound usually like they're coming from below somewhere. It's a weird sound and needs getting used to. The song ended kinda suddenly for me, since I would have liked to hear this progress more. I think I expect long songs from you, so that may be why I was expecting the next section to kick in, but it ended. Still, the song is good. I'd try to do something about that midi violin sound and maybe check out that distorted rhythm guitar at the end. I mean, it's got power, but... Maybe there's a stereo delay effect that makes it sound weird.

hoo boy...

On my mark, get set....go!

dobro- I'm very pleased you liked it...I'm a fan of yours. I'm always psyched when I hear people experimenting, like your music does. I found the Bungle comparison interesting. I didn't hear at first, but I was a big fan of them through the 90's, and I hear it now. Thanks for checking this out!

pedullist- thanks for the suggestion.

coplinger- thanks for the comments.

Smokepole- ya sometimes I like to just open up my skull and let whatever spills spill. Gives me something to work with at least! Thanks smoke.

Guernica- "Ear Candy and Sonic Spices." :D I trust you got my PM. The part sounds good...send the disc. :)

jagular- oh it's even more fun to play than it is to listen to!

Lt. Bob- Thanks Steve, you don't have to go through the trouble, but I appreciate it. I'll get my hands on some and give you my thoughts.

dafduc- I like the orchestral percussion idea. It would give it like a "Sorcerer's Apprentice" vibe. I can see Mickey Mouse losing it. Thanks for listening.

David- I gotta be honest...I didn't work very hard on this. It was already written long ago. I just added some garnish. But thank you. I can't tell you how impressed I am with "She Loves me...wild." Superior performance.

crankyone- the guitar sound is from stereo miking my amp with a sm57 and a MK012. It's kinda weird, and I didn't know how it would sound after mixing. And when I finally got to mixing, I was too intoxicated to re-do it.
The "weird EQ settings" you're hearing is that MK012. That's how the amp sounds through that mic. Sometimes I like it on leads, but it doesn't seem to work on more agressive rhythms. They are a bit loud in the mix. But I don't care. :) For now.
The drums are DFH. Technically the violin is not midi. I actually play the notes, but ya, your point is taken. I'm getting to the point where I having trouble dealing with synth instruments at all, even for writing purposes like this. I like the keyboard for pads, but they generally suck for solo instruments.
Thanks Cranky

Thanks everyone. I've got what I need for this one, and I have a new one to post soon. So we can let this go.

Last edited:
It's been delayed. The producer has requested a M.C.T.S.T (Morning Commute Truck Stereo Test). He's such an asshole.

(Morning Commute Truck Stereo Test)

haha... mctst

i listened to this last night... so soo clean. you mustve used a toothbrush in between every nook and cranny on this.

Just got home from a 12hr work day... send me sympathy sluice :(

eyeballin' some new gear though :)

Wow,first version was cool,but this is great!
Nice job on the production Tom.

So now you have to get out your pen and paper,and write a play for it!
A play called "The Play",ya that's it!:D

Sounds cool the way you went full out at 1:50,nice touch.
I dig the synth work,fits the eerie feel well.

Great stuff man.
Thanks for sharing it,
Pete

Back