Original song The Prodigal son

There's some background noise/hiss that's audible before the sog starts & sits in the background there after. It should be easy enough to remove. By the way it is good and effective.

Mr. Blues,
I thought I'd have a look at the noise issue: it's a complex one - I took a "fingerprint" of the noise at the beginning and applied some NR based on that - it reduced some . I took another fingerprint of the remaining noise & tried again. WEithout very aggressive NR that damaged the music I am unable to get rid of all the noise. I then opted to use a filter to try to address the remaining noise - I used a wide Q filter at 10khz & it did get rid of a lot of noise - BUT some music was lost as well.
It may be that some of the noise is due to the MP3 reduction process (getting down to 128 is a pretty aggressive rip) but it way well be that you're layering noise upon noise as you record.
It could be valve noise from the mic or anywhere in your chain. I think you need to experiment & find out where the noise enters the system.
Here's a 320MP3 of the results of my NR attempts. Warning: I converted from 128 MP3 to 16 bit wav. then processed it as mentioned above using Waverepair's fingerprint & filter processes. After which I converted the wav to s 320 MP3.

Nice tune.
I quite like the reverb on the voice. Nice acoustic playing and a very good voice. Nice work (I liked mix 3 best.....)

I can't say I love the song, but clearly shows that you are very talented. I look forward to hearing other works you do.

Mind if I ask how you did the recording on this?

Thanks guys. Rayc thanks for what you did its has got rid of some of that noise.
Maybe I am using Reaper the wrong way as I tend to work with each wav file in layers, say i compressed the guitar, i will then render that file & save it into a folder and then open up a new file in Reaper & then call that file back in and EQ it then reapeat the same process and add verbs.
That could be causing the noise.
Or could it be that I am only using the built in soundcard that came with my computor which only recognises direck x .
I will try and experiment and ask around.
Dave

Hi oneguy
Thank you for your kind comments i have written better songs, its not my wife's favourite song either lol.

Its was I think the first song I ever wrote back in 96' 97'.
The way I recorded it was with a Tascam DP-008 portable multitrack recorder, then transferred the Wav files to my computor and then attempted to edit and mix with Reaper software and used Reaper and T Racks plug ins to compress eq and add verbs.
Dave

You plugged your guitar and mic straight into it and recorded in one take?

(Sorry I'm new to recording so trying to learn how others are doing it...)

Hi One guy I did the guitars seperatly I do sometimes record in one take but you often get microphone bleed that way.
Whats your set up are you mainly recording the computor route.

Dave

You have such a nice mic... at the risk of sounding GASsy it would be nice if you had even a cheap interface for your computer... the hiss could be coming from your tascam, would not be surprised.

also... you should be able to apply all of your effects vst's to your song without having to export multiple times... I am used to cubase and not reaper but it sounds strange that you should have to do that.

Hi Lastdays I was thinking of going that route.
I am suprised that the noise is possibly coming from my Tascam as its a a multitrack recorder with an SD card and I thought that was meant to be very quiet in operation unless its faulty.
The only problem with going the computor interface route is that it may pick up my computor fan noise.
But thanks for your tip.

Dave

I think you are just using less compression ;) but yes, the sound is less.

Getting into a computer interface is a world of good and bad, thats about all I can say. If you dont have extra money lying around and are comfortable with the tascam, maybe its not time for a change. Are you using the preamp on the tascam? I suppose that could contribute.

I dont have much problem with fan noise, but there are ways around it, and some computers are much louder than others. "Quiet" Fans are available if you are comfortable working inside your computer and want to go that route.

If you do buy an interface I will be able to welcome you to the world of latency, driver problems, glitches, and crashes! Woohoo! Seriously I enjoy it doing this way, but you should at least know what you are getting into.

On the plus side, any interface would be a huge upgrade to your built in sound card, something you would have to do anyway if you really wanted to continue, then comes real monitors.... *gag* It doesnt stop!!!!!

Great job, Dave!

I really like this song a lot and this latest mix sounds the best yet. Yes, I can hear the hiss or whatever it is, but it doesn't detract from the song. Maybe a volume envelope that opens up a fraction of a second before the first guitar note so it doesn't stand out at the beginning. I don't notice it at all once the song starts. Anyway, you can really hear how well you sing now... the jazzy chords are cool and I like how the melody lands on what (I think) is a major seventh at the end of some the phrases.

Thanks for sharing your stuff here!

J

PS - I just saw your comments about rendering multiple times in Reaper. I'm not sure I followed exactly what you were saying, but I don't think there's a need to render anything other than your final track. You should be able set up up each track as its own ... track and manipulate/effect/eq/etc. each one separately, but leave the orignal files alone. Then when everything sounds right together, just render the whole mix. I don't know how quickly noise builds up with multiple renderings. That's kind of the equivalent of a bounce when working with tape which added lot's a noise depending on your equipment. Digital is less sensitive, but the same math applies. Maybe someone else can comment more intelligently, but I think you want to minimize the number of times you render the tracks down... to only one time, I think! :)

First off, nice song and singing. I don't have any thing else to add to what's already been said, but it was fun to listen to the progression of the song from the first mix. You listened to each comment and took the advice and the song benifitted from it.

Now...

Maybe I am using Reaper the wrong way as I tend to work with each wav file in layers, say i compressed the guitar, i will then render that file & save it into a folder and then open up a new file in Reaper & then call that file back in and EQ it then reapeat the same process and add verbs.
That could be causing the noise.
Or could it be that I am only using the built in soundcard that came with my computor which only recognises direck x .
I will try and experiment and ask around.
Dave

You are really adding a lot of unnecessary steps to your process. You don't need to render a new file every time you add a new effect. It could be adding to the noise because that's a lot of conversions (but someone smarter than me might say otherwise).

Once you import your original, raw guitar (or any) track you can basically add as many effects as Reaper will let you add. You never really HAVE to render each track. You add your effects to each track. Mix to taste. Then render a stereo file of that mix. This will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Check in the Reaper section of the forum for more details and questions that you have.

Thanks you lastdays, jjjtttggg and dastrick
I am the typical kind of guy for example when one gets a new gadget you just try and put it together without reading the instructions. lol

Just before I did the last mix I managed to work it out that you can add effects without rendering and it was very simple ( Why am I such a thicko ).lol

I still might go the interface route as lastdays suggested but as he said I may open up a new can of worms with latency issues etc.

Dave

Latency will not be a problem for you unless you get into midi*. Go for it dude!

*Zero latency monitoring is pretty standard in interfaces these days, track away!

If what you're using is working for you, the I don't see where you NEED an interface. You obiously make good recordings with what you have.

Yes your right Dastrick.
I am now happier with my mixes .

Even when I recorded before I use to just DI the guitar and a friend of mine suggested that why not mic up your guitar, it will give it a more open sound and he is right. i also heard that you can use a bit of both so this time a did a bit of both miked up the guitar on one channel with a large condeser and on the second channel I DI'd the guitar but at less volume to macth the other channel.

Dave

Back