original

No, it doesn't suck! That's a great song--with a very cool groove. For me the issue with the vox isn't the clarity of particular syllables, but where the vocal track is sitting in the mix. I imagined I was in a room listening to the song, and the main guitar line sounded the closest to me, while the vocals sounded like they were back behind the drums.

Obviously, you couldn't hear a singer standing behind the drums, but I mean where they sound like in the mix. They should come up in volume, but also maybe be a bit drier, so they come forward.

The vocals might also benefit from some eq tweaking. I wouldn't quite call 'em muddy, but they could use a little edge. Try bumping the mids and/or upper mids--that'll move 'em forward some too.

But I repeat--this doesn't suck! I really like it! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the figurative insight......the concept'll stick sooner or later.

I just bumped the upper mids and increased the level a bit. Sounds a lot better...just like you said.

I also panned the slide and feature guitars L&R in a little from 60% to 47%. the pan gets real touchy out there beyond 50%, I'm learning. Kind of improved the image a bit....they were getting lost way out there. I'm so worried about stepping on the vox that I over-compensate the other way.

TX!

Wow....I like this too...upbeat and gets ya moving around the room dancing!!!

I can close my eyes and feel like, I'm on a beach under a thatch roofed gazebo ...waving my arms around like I'm surfing a wave, laughing and enjoying the lighter side of life...cool reggae surf sound going on here!! Fun tune!!!

Really love the rhythm guits and the lead doing it's walking...and that slide is icing on the cake!! Lots of upbeat happy energy going on here!!

Nice beat...like the snare hits..excellent drumming by the way...and ever so often the tom roll comes thru.

The vox are great!

Don't know why you thought it sucked at first posting.:confused:

The hi hat track was missing...the mix was whack. As usual , posting it made me hear it differently. This master was much better. And, now, even better yet, since following the advice is post 3! A concept I'd read about....visualization of the field. But to grasp it, I guess you have to use it at least once. It's a new tool in the bag. I also dried up the overal verb a bit, and added some Lex 'snare chamber' ambience to the snare alone...to place it a little further back, without losing the punch. That worked well.

Really glad you like it. I've been at this for two years. I feel like there's hope for me, lately.

Back