"One Of These Days" A pink Floyd Cover

queepy

aka Variaxman
Man...I am loving vacation!Finally have some time to mess around with some recrding!!I am trying to get my band to cover this song live , so I thought I would do my own little version and take it to band practice tonight to show em we can do it.
It's a bit diffrent from the original.I think my levels may need adjusting but my ears are kinda fatigued from laying down guitar tracks all morning... :p ...

As always your feedback is always very welcomed.....One Of These Days - Streaming

One Of These Days - download

I don't know the original song but i'm commenting as I listen along:

Some toughts:
-I like the initial feeling in the song
-The reversed cymbals are good for a giant climax, but have a bit too much attack in the beginning !
-bassguitar sounds great
-The drums have a bit too much reverb on them
-2.10 the clingy thingys are a bit too prominent
-2.32 is a nice climax !

I thing the biggest improvement could be done by making the drums a bit louder (everything but the hi-hat)

The entire vibe of the song is in the right place tough !

Blor007 said:
I don't know the original song but i'm commenting as I listen along:

Some toughts:
-I like the initial feeling in the song
-The reversed cymbals are good for a giant climax, but have a bit too much attack in the beginning !
-bassguitar sounds great
-The drums have a bit too much reverb on them
-2.10 the clingy thingys are a bit too prominent
-2.32 is a nice climax !

I thing the biggest improvement could be done by making the drums a bit louder (everything but the hi-hat)

The entire vibe of the song is in the right place tough !

Thanks for the great feedback....after I posted this...I burned it on a disk and listened on my car stereo...I definitely hear the hi-hat as being annoyingly prominet in the mix...agree on the drums as well...that clingy thing is me tapping a glass slide on the strings and I think they are too loud as well...think I'm gonna cut that part out.
Gonna give my ears a rest and try to remix this tomorrow ....although I will probably blow em out at practice tonight :p !
Thanks a lot for posting your thoughts...I appreciate the ideas!!

Sounds good to me.

There are a few issues, as mentioned in the post before me.
But all in all its great, IMHO.

Love the slide sound you get here, sounds even better then the original :cool:

I also like the way you play guitar on the key parts :)

kudos

Very interesting take on the song, i would like to hear the bass brought out a bit more. other than that i thought it was excellent, really cool sound effects/atmospherics. Still maintained enough of the originals strenghs but brought something new to it as well, excellent.

Nakatira said:
Sounds good to me.

There are a few issues, as mentioned in the post before me.
But all in all its great, IMHO.

Love the slide sound you get here, sounds even better then the original :cool:

I also like the way you play guitar on the key parts :)

kudos

Hey Nak, thanks man!! My wife got me the Pink Floyd in Pompeii video, and there performance of this tune kinda inspired me to come up with a version!
I have some good ideas to fix this up a bit , and I think I can get it to sound better...cool you liked the slide parts/sound..I kinda wanted to get a more crunchy/present sound than the original....gonna look for some diffrent cymbal swell samples/loops I can use for the reverse cymbal things

Thanks for listening!!

gummblefish said:
Very interesting take on the song, i would like to hear the bass brought out a bit more. other than that i thought it was excellent, really cool sound effects/atmospherics. Still maintained enough of the originals strenghs but brought something new to it as well, excellent.

Thanks man...got some tweeking to do and I also would like to hear the bass a bit more present in the mix....glad you dug it!

Not familiar with this particular tune, but it sounds very Floyd-ish to me. Lots of excellent guitar parts in this one. Slide is great. Is that keyboards in there with the special effects and the tremelo effect? The drums do sound a bit far away - I know the sound you're going for but these seem a bit distant. Just roll it back a touch. A very spacey tune. I can tell you've done a ton of work on this and it's paid off nicely.... I'll keep checking for updates...
Great job so far...

:) :D :) :D

Woah ambitious undertaking. You did a really good job all round. The tremelo is still effective after all these years. Your guitars and effects are top notch. I like the drum treatment too, although they do need to come up some. The only thing I'd change in this, and I know you're doing your own take on the song, but after the 'tear you into little pieces' vocal, bring the drums back rockin steady and lose the fills. Great version!

very cool idea bro!!!

i can't believe that there are people in this forum who havn't heard that song.
i don't mean to knock anyones taste in music, but FLOYD were masters of they're art:D and between animals and darkside, i can't decide.....both were killer recordings and mixes...with that said

you must have alot of free time to take on such a heavy project..:D

great job as always!

one of these days I'm gunna cut you up into little pieces......

:) ha ha....I remember seeing the movie in the early 70's.."Pink Floyd...Live in Pompeii".......shortly after buying my first proper bra.....I also bought the album "Meddle" back then too. (1972 ????).
You brought back some fine memories, (I'm known as a little bit of a Floyd fan), and although the finer essences of your track have been missed, along with a few little anomolies from the original, I congratulate you on 'pulling' this off....a truly incredible effort...and I'd like to see you guys do this live.

Kindest Regards to you,
'Superspit'....the Andrea version thereof.

ido1957 :Not familiar with this particular tune, but it sounds very Floyd-ish to me. Lots of excellent guitar parts in this one. Slide is great. Is that keyboards in there with the special effects and the tremelo effect? The drums do sound a bit far away - I know the sound you're going for but these seem a bit distant. Just roll it back a touch. A very spacey tune. I can tell you've done a ton of work on this and it's paid off nicely.... I'll keep checking for updates...
Great job so far...

Thanks idol1957,man...you should check the album out this song come from...It's called "Meddle" and it's killer!Everything on this is done with guitar/bass except for the drums which were loops.Gonna dry those drums up a bit as you suggest Thanks for listening and the feedback!

Bulls Hit :Woah ambitious undertaking. You did a really good job all round. The tremelo is still effective after all these years. Your guitars and effects are top notch. I like the drum treatment too, although they do need to come up some. The only thing I'd change in this, and I know you're doing your own take on the song, but after the 'tear you into little pieces' vocal, bring the drums back rockin steady and lose the fills. Great version!

Thanks !Yeah, I'm learning a lot by doing these covers and they are also a lot of fun!Gonna take your advice on getting rid of the fills at the end of the song and also kick up the drum level...

turtlishous :very cool idea bro!!!
i can't believe that there are people in this forum who havn't heard that song.
i don't mean to knock anyones taste in music, but FLOYD were masters of they're art and between animals and darkside, i can't decide.....both were killer recordings and mixes...with that said
you must have alot of free time to take on such a heavy project..
great job as always!

Free time? HA! I have a 1 year old daughter and a 5 year old son ;) !I'm just lucky my wife gave me some time the last couple of days to do some recording...usually I have to sneak in quickies all the time or late nights when everybody is asleep!Yeah, I'm kinda surprised when people haven't heard of some stuff I take for granted...than I consider how old I am and it bums me out (42) :p ! Although I have discovered a few bands from other musicians post/covers I would have never heard of if it wasn't for this forum so it's all good!
Thanks a lot for the good word...appreciate it!

superspit: one of these days I'm gunna cut you up into little pieces......
ha ha....I remember seeing the movie in the early 70's.."Pink Floyd...Live in Pompeii".......shortly after buying my first proper bra.....I also bought the album "Meddle" back then too. (1972 ????).
You brought back some fine memories, (I'm known as a little bit of a Floyd fan), and although the finer essences of your track have been missed, along with a few little anomolies from the original, I congratulate you on 'pulling' this off....a truly incredible effort...and I'd like to see you guys do this live.

Ha! Yeah, I seen the movie many times at the "midnight movies" when I was a kid!Don't remember much of it :o ...so it's cool I have the DVD now!
I really hope my band can try this but it's not looking good right now...I think the other guys wanna move away from this kinda stuff....we'll see...
Thanks for checking it out!!

Just wanted to let those interested know I posted a new mix of this song...the links at the top of the page will play it.
I did the following:
* raised the bass guitar level slightly and adjusted the compression/eq
*Raised the drum level
*Removed some reverb from the drums
*Lowered the slide guitar levels slightly
*raised the guitar solo level at the end slightly(think this may have been a mistake)
*removed the drum fills from the last section of the song
* raised the robot vocal level on the "one of these days..." part

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the feedback and ideas..I've really learned a lot from you guys!!

variaxman said:
Just wanted to let those interested know I posted a new mix of this song...the links at the top of the page will play it.
I did the following:
* raised the bass guitar level slightly and adjusted the compression/eq
*Raised the drum level
*Removed some reverb from the drums
*Lowered the slide guitar levels slightly
*raised the guitar solo level at the end slightly(think this may have been a mistake)
*removed the drum fills from the last section of the song
* raised the robot vocal level on the "one of these days..." part

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the feedback and ideas..I've really learned a lot from you guys!!
The new mix sounds great - that bass in the beginning just drives the whole thing nicely - sounds live! The drums are great now - reverb reduction made a world of difference..... Great mix now.....

ido1957 said:
The new mix sounds great - that bass in the beginning just drives the whole thing nicely - sounds live! The drums are great now - reverb reduction made a world of difference..... Great mix now.....

Thanls man! That was a great call on the reverb!I appreciate your advice!

To be honest, I dig the production value, but I don't really dig the arrangement. Whenever I do a cover I try to be faithful to the original, and this version kinda leaves me flat. Your version just doesn't have any of the impact of the original. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Can't crank it up this late at night.

This sounds really nice. :) The synths in the beginning sound real cool. Throughout the song they sound real cool.

The guitar sounds are really cool. The drums sound pretty cool. How did you do the drums?

The bass sounds pretty cool.

The space in the guitars is done pretty cool.

Never heard the original.

MadAudio :To be honest, I dig the production value, but I don't really dig the arrangement. Whenever I do a cover I try to be faithful to the original, and this version kinda leaves me flat. Your version just doesn't have any of the impact of the original. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Thanks for your feedback...I hear what your saying about the original and the emotional impact...the original is such a strong song that has a real eerie vibe to it....I would love to get that vibe on my original music I write , so one of the reasons I do these covers of the bands/songs I love is to try and learn that style/feel of there music.I think there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to doing a cover, the 1st is to do it exactly like the original, down to the note , which I admire greatly for the talent it takes, and the 2nd is more like a interpretation of the song as felt by the musician ...playing it the way he/she feels about the song, I guess that's were I fit in.
Sorry it left you feeling flat, I appreciate the honesty...thanks for taking the time to listen and post.

bigbubba :Can't crank it up this late at night.
This sounds really nice. The synths in the beginning sound real cool. Throughout the song they sound real cool.
The guitar sounds are really cool. The drums sound pretty cool. How did you do the drums?
The bass sounds pretty cool.
The space in the guitars is done pretty cool.
Never heard the original.

Thanks bigbubba...yeah those are actually guitars with a leslie effect on rather than synths...I don't own any keyboards so have to use guitars for everything unfotunatly.....you should look up the original...you would probably dig it!
Thanks for listening!!

Nick The Man: beautiful.. i liked everything although the drums could come up a little, thats all, very nice

Thanks Nick!Yeah..Im still not quite feeling the drums either...gonna try and fix.Thanks for checking it out!

Nice start...I recognized it right away. Very interesting version...I like it. Sounds like you had fun. Very good production and playing. :cool:

Back